Before a record Tallaght league crowd of 7,021, Shamrock Rovers ended their appalling record in recent seasons against arch rivals Bohemians, albeit in workmanlike fashion.

A disjointed game was decided by a second goal in as many games from Graham Burke, who played an even more important defensive role in the most memorable attack of a forgettable second half.

The wind ruined this as a spectacle but Rovers fans, sick of the sight of Bohs in taunting mode after one point from no less than eight successive league games against the Gypsies, would have celebrated in a hurricane here, even if Dundalk remain comfortable in their ascendancy at the top of the standings.

Rovers had most of the ball in the opening stages and Jack Byrne, ahead of catching up with the Ireland squad shortly, pinged a shot towards goal on 16 minutes but it was deflected wide for a corner. It was not one of Byrne's best nights, but he played his role.

Mick McCarthy, the Ireland boss, was among the Tallaght crowd who were treated to a pretty patchy opening quarter. The wind was really strong, James Talbot notably failing to reach halfway with his kickouts.

Lee Grace hits the deck after challenge from Luke Wade-Slater

The opening goal came on 26 minutes. Aaron McEneff was superb down the right in front of the Bohs fans, initially dashing down the line and then finding the excellent Sean Kavanagh, whose stunning delivery was met by a firm Burke header; from so near the goal, Talbot faced a hopeless task.

Bohs created next to nothing against the gale but the impressive Andre Wright did well on 37 minutes, finding Derek Pender, who had a poor first half; Pender crossed to Danny Grant, whose header cleared the bar of Alan Mannus.

The relevance of the breeze was reinforced in the opening ten minutes after the restart, Bohs on top and Darragh Leahy fizzing one over the crossbar of Mannus four minutes in.

On the hour mark, Burke arguably bettered his contribution in the first half, clearing twice off the line from a corner, initially from a Leahy header and then from a Cornwall bullet that somehow found the head of the on-loan Preston player. It was an incredible double intervention.

A record crowd for a league game in Tallaght Stadium watched the home side edge it

With Bohs on top, Conor Levingston's drive from outside the box with 25 minutes left had Mannus worried. Rovers were struggling in midfield in the second half and Stephen Bradley wisely introduced Greg Bolger for Burke, given a standing ovation, on 66 minutes.

Wright was full of vigour but his header from Luke Wade Slater's assist with 18 minutes to debate just sailed narrowly wide. Extraordinary skill from Aaron Greene, with a little luck involved, saw him race through on goal with 15 minutes left but Talbot rushed out to clear, almost handling outsde the box.

Rovers, Roberto Lopes a rock, were pretty content to see it out in the closing stages. For Bohs, this result means their chance of a top-four finish is that bit less assured.

Shamrock Rovers: Mannus; O'Brien, Lopes, Grace, S Kavanagh; Finn (Lafferty 79), Byrne (B Kavanagh 87), McEneff, O'Neill, Burke (Bolger 66); Greene.

Bohemians: Talbot; Pender, Cornwall, Finnerty, Leahy; Grant, Buckley, Levingston (Ward 88), Tierney (Wade Slater 58); Mandroiu; Wright.

Referee: Rob Hennessy.

Attendance: 7,021