Republic of Ireland U21 forward Aaron Connolly marked his full debut for Brighton with the opener in the Seagulls' 2-1 win at Bristol Rovers in the second round of the Carabao Cup.

The 19-year-old's 55th minute strike was cancelled out by an excellent goal from Tom Nichols before Glenn Murray hit a late winner.

Norwich were dumped out by League Two Crawley as Bez Lubala's deflected first-half strike was enough to secure a 1-0 win for Town.

Daniel Farke's decision to change all 11 starters for the Canaries proved costly as the Premier League new boys produced a disjointed performance and were duly punished.

Norwich were not the only top-flight side to fall as Colchester beat Crystal Palace on penalties after a goalless draw at Selhurst Park, with Noah Chilvers scoring the decisive kick as Colchester scored all five from the spot.

Sheffield United were unconvincing in seeing off Blackburn 2-1 at Bramall Lane. Richard Stearman and Ollie Norwood scored first-half goals after Blackburn's Adam Armstrong saw an early penalty saved, but Sam Gallagher's header set up a nervy finish.

Aston Villa had no such trouble in winning 6-1 at Crewe. Ezri Konsa's debut goal four minutes in was followed by a first-half brace from Conor Hourihane after Owen Dale's 18th minute header was ruled out for offside for Crewe.

Further goals followed from Keinan Davis and Frederic Guilbert as Villa filled their boots, and though Ryan Wintle pulled one back with a fine solo effort, Jack Grealish had the final word.

Michael Obafemi's 57th header saw Southampton to a 1-0 win at Fulham while West Ham overcame a strong Newport start to triumph 2-0 at Rodney Parade with goals in either half from Jack Wilshere and Pablo Fornals - each scoring their first for the club.

Michael Obafemi (R) was Southampton's matchwinner

Watford eased the pressure on Javi Gracia with their first win in nine games, comfortably seeing off Coventry 3-0.

Record signing Ismaila Sarr opened the scoring in the 37th minute with his first Watford goal before Daryl Janmaat and Adalberto Penaranda added to the score in the second half.

Stoke eased the pressure on Nathan Jones with a dramatic victory at Leeds on penalties.

Danny Batth's header and Sam Vokes' close-range finish put Stoke 2-0 up but Jack Butland's miserable run of fortune continued when his clearance struck a defender and fell for Eddie Nketiah to finish before Helder Costa levelled in the 81st minute.

But as the game headed to penalties, Butland was not hiding as he took and scored Stoke's fifth penalty before Jack Harrison struck a post.

Nottingham Forest cruised to a 3-0 win over rivals Derby as Albert Adomah opened the scoring before further goals from Joe Lolley and Joao Carvalho.

Yakou Meite scored twice at the death, one from the penalty spot, as Championship side Reading won 4-2 at League Two Plymouth, who led twice on the night.

James Henry scored from the spot in the fourth minute of stoppage time as League One's Oxford came from 2-0 down to force penalties against Championship Millwall, and they capitalised as John Mousinho drilled the decisive spot-kick past Luke Steele.

Luton won 3-0 away to fellow Championship side Cardiff after a Junior Hoilett own goal and further strikes from Alan Sheehan and Jake Jervis.

Liam Boyce's hat-trick helped Burton to a 4-0 win over Morecambe, while Rochdale were 2-1 winners over Carlisle and MK Dons were 4-1 winners away to Southend in another all League One tie.

Jarrod Bowen's goal in the fifth minute of stoppage time saw Hull force penalties against Preston as it finished 2-2, with Preston winning 5-4 in the shoot-out.

The game between Grimsby and Morecambe at Blundell Park was abandoned at half-time after a torrential storm with the score 0-0.