Galway United are through to the last eight of the FAI Cup after a shock victory over a pathetically poor Cork City side at Terryland, the Leesiders failing to register a single shot on target.

The incumbent visiting boss Neale Fenn, watching in the stands, might be wondering why he left Longford Town after watching Cork limp to defeat against a team that has been struggling all season in Division 1.

This, however, was Galway's night. They should have won this far more comfortably, Conor Melody scoring the goal but Conor Barry running the show. For rookie boss Alan Murphy, working off a tiny budget, this was a night to savour, United having not won since May before three victories on the spin.

The home crowd will now be thinking of a big draw in the quarter-finals but also with an eye on next season, as the Tribesmen's young players gain further experience. 

For Cork, this was an embarrassing effective end to a truly dire season, as John Cotter makes way for Fenn in the managerial hotseat. 

Cork very nearly went ahead from a set-piece on five minutes, in-form veteran Mark O'Sullivan's header narrowly wide from a smashing Kevin O'Connor delivery.

Galway grew into the game and Cork were far from impressive early on, incoming manager Fenn probably reflecting on the task ahead. Conor Barry, having scored three goals in the last two games, could have done better 19 minutes in but drove wide.

O'Connor had to cry off injured just after the half-hour mark, ex-United favourite Karl Sheppard coming in.

United had a huge chance with 12 minutes to go before half-time, Marc Ludden's cross let go by Melody but centre-back Stephen Walsh made a tepid connection.

Cork were all over the place in midfield and, Maurice Nugent playing in Barry, he skied his shot.

Cork's midfielders were afraid to look for the ball and it was impossible to figure out which of these two outfits was in the Premier Division as half-time approached.

Joel Coustrain of Cork City is tackled by Maurice Nugent of Galway United

United took the lead just on the interval. Melody, recently replacing Vinny Faherty in the Galway attack, very rarely scores headers but he was on hand to exploit appalling City defending from Stephen Christopher's corner-kick.

Barry was lively again as the second half began, initially looking for a penalty and later driving at Mark McNulty.

There was no improvement from City in the first 20 minutes after the break and after excellent Barry play Donal Higgins turned inside but his shot at McNulty lacked punch.

Melody then tried to dink over after a stunning Barry pass with McNulty off his line.

United nearly went 2-0 up on 72 minutes with Conor McCarthy lucky not to get penalised after fouling Melody, who played in Barry but his shot was blocked for a corner.

Barry, by a stretch the man of the match, fed it wide to Higgins and he laid it off but Melody's shot was poor.

Melody made way to a standing ovation with six minutes left as United really should have added a second in injury time through his replacement Faherty. They held out, with their relatively experienced back four rarely troubled and young keeper Kevin Horgan barely touching the ball.

Galway United: K Horgan; Lynch, Walsh, Brouder (C Murphy 86), Ludden; Higgins, Collins, Nugent (C Horgan 83), Christopher; Barry; Melody (Faherty 84).

Cork City: McNulty; Horgan, McCarthy, Casey, Hurley; O'Connor (Sheppard 31), Morrissey, Buckley, Coustrain (Griffin 46); Stokes (O'Brien Whitmarsh 75); O'Sullivan.

Referee: Rob Rogers.