FAI President Donal Conway has not ruled out the possibility of Saturday week's AGM being postponed and said he may yet step away from the role this month. 

On Monday, Conway was nominated unopposed by AGM members of the FAI to continue as the association's president.

This led to Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Shane Ross writing to Conway asking him to withdraw his nomination to be re-elected, referencing a meeting Conway attended with Ross, along with Minister of State Brendan Griffin, in Leinster House on 22 May in which the FAI President reiterated a previous commitment to stand down at the AGM.

In response, the FAI underlined the intention of the board to stand down but also pointed to the recommendation of the Governance Review Group that "at least one or possibly a maximum of two members might consider putting themselves forward for positions on the Interim Board" to help with continuity.

Speaking to reporters at Abbotstown on Thursday, Conway said: "That is exactly what the intention of the board was, that everybody would step away at the AGM. And that's absolutely my intention.

"But the members of the association and the recommendation in the Governance Review report talked about continuity. I said at the press conference here that I was elected for a four-year term but from March last there was no such thing as a four-year term for Donal Conway. That’s gone.

"So my term as president is going to end in July and may still. I just want to be clear on this. The board collectively looked at the report and said 'is there any merit or value in one or two members going on to an interim board?’" 

When asked if the AGM could be postponed, Conway replied: "I started a conversation [on Wednesday] with my colleagues... We will have a press conference after the EGM (which takes place tomorrow)."

He also rowed back on initial claims that the body doesn't have a contingency plan should the 78 recommendations put forward by the Sport Ireland/FAI Governance Review Group fail to pass at the EGM.

He said that their Plan B is to continue using the current rulebook should the delegates fail to vote in a two-thirds majority.

"We have a Plan A and Plan B. I don't go talking to the members about a Plan B because I want Plan A. There is a Plan B, can I just say to you there is a Plan B. If the rules don’t pass we know what we have to do."