Bohemians extended their unbeaten run in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division to six matches while Cork City stretched their winless run to seven as the sides played out a 0-0 draw at Turner's Cross on Friday night.

The result had little impact on the league table as Bohemians remained locked in third and City stay in seventh although Waterford do have games in hand on their Munster rivals.

John Cotter made two changes to his side which was held to a scoreless draw by Finn Harps in Donegal on Monday night.

Darragh Rainsford and Gary Boylan were replaced by Karl Sheppard and Joel Coustrain, who was handed his debut following the completion of his loan move from Shamrock Rovers which saw Graham Cummins head in the other direction.

Cotter continued with the same 3-5-2 formation that he implemented against Harps and it seemed to cause Bohemians problems in the opening minutes.

Conor McCormack dragged a shot wide of the far post from the edge of the penalty area after two minutes before the returning Karl Sheppard went even closer moments later.

The City captain got on the end of Ronan Hurley’s cross from left flank but Bohs goalkeeper James Talbot did well to turn his header wide of his bottom right corner.

Keith Long made four alterations to his side that was also held to a 0-0 draw on Monday night as Derry City took a share of the spoils from that encounter at Dalymount Park.

Scott Allardice, Ryan Graydon and Andy Lyons dropped to the substitute’s bench with Michael Barker missing out entirely and in their place came Derek Pender, Keith Buckley, Paddy Kirk and Danny Mandroiu.

Mandroiu had the first strike in anger for the visitors with 11 minutes on the clock but his shot from distance drifted harmlessly wide of the left upright.

Much to the frustration of the 2,115 crowd in attendance, the quality of the match soon dropped dramatically and genuine goal scoring chances were soon hard to come by.

The lively Sheppard did threaten shortly before the half time break but his powerful attempt was straight at James Talbot.

Bohs broke themselves on 40 but after being picked out by Luke Wade-Slater, winger Keith Ward could only send his diving header over the bar.


City, who won both the league meetings between these two sides this season, started the second half on the front foot and Colm Horgan went close to scoring after the restart but he sliced his attempt into the Shed end from a good position.

Robbie McCourt fired over for the Dublin club and Gearoid Morrissey did likewise for the Cork club just before the hour mark as the game looked to regain some of its earlier momentum.

But the tension soon looked like it was going to boil over as referee Ray Matthews dished out five yellow cards in the space of 12 minutes.

With a quarter of an hour remaining, the Gypsies created their best opportunity of the night but Darragh Leahy’s towering header from a corner was brilliantly saved by Mark McNulty before City finally scrambled the ball clear.

City – with Mark O’Sullivan leading the line in his first appearance for the club since the FAI Cup final in 2016 – rallied late on but it wasn’t to be their night as the spoils were shared.

Cork City: Mark McNulty; Conor McCarthy, Dan Casey, Sean McLoughlin; Colm Horgan, Conor McCormack, Gearoid Morrissey, Garry Buckley (Daire O’Connor 87), Ronan Hurley; Joel Coustrain (Mark O’Sullivan 61), Karl Sheppard.

Bohemians: James Talbot; Derek Pender, James Finnerty, Darragh Leahy, Paddy Kirk; Keith Buckley (Scott Allardice 87), Conor Levingston (Robbie McCourt 57); Luke Wade-Slater, Danny Mandroiu, Keith Ward; Ryan Swan (Ryan Graydon 70).

Referee: Ray Matthews.