Cork City winless run in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division has been stretched to five games as they were well beaten 4-1 by an impressive Derry City side at Turner's Cross.

A brilliant hat trick from Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe was enough to earn Derry the three points to strengthen their bid to finish in the top four and inflict a tenth league defeat of the season on Cork, who snatched a late goal through Graham Cummins having seen Daire O’Connor sent off earlier in the second half.

John Cotter made two changes to his side that was held to a controversial 1-1 draw way to St Patrick’s Athletic last time out with Sean McLoughlin and Conor McCormack coming in for Colm Horgan and Garry Comerford.

Garry Buckley had a great opportunity to take the lead in the fourth minute as former goalkeeper Peter Cherrie sliced his clearance straight to Garry Buckley but the Cork captain failed to find the net with his first time effort.

Declan Devine made just one alteration to his side that battled from two goals to earn a point away to Shamrock Rovers in their previous fixture as Ally Gilchrist replaced Joshua Kerr.

They soon grabbed a foothold in the game with Gregg Sloggett and Gerardo Bruna dominating the midfield and they edged in front with 11 minutes on the clock.

Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe picked out David Parkhouse in front of goal and the striker’s powerful strike from close range squirmed past Mark McNulty and nestled in the bottom right corner of the net.

Gearoid Morrissey almost levelled the scores midway through the first period but after a sharp turn on the edge of the penalty box, his drive was well saved low to his right but the outstretched Cherrie.

Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe tackles Conor McCarthy 

That moment proved to be decisive as the Candystripes doubled their advantage just two minutes later when the lively Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe volleyed home Sloggett’s excellent cross from the right wing.

And they made it 3-0 on the half an hour mark when Ogedi-Uzokwe netted his second goal of the evening.

Conor McCormack handled Gerardo Bruna’s free-kick inside the penalty area, giving the referee no alternative but to point to the spot.

Up stepped Ogedi-Uzokwe but after seeing his initial effort well saved by McNulty, he was lucky to get the chance to slot the rebound into the empty net.

It now just seemed to be a matter of how many goals Derry would win by and they ought to have added a couple more before the half time break but David Parkhouse squandered a brace of guilt edge chances.

Cork’s task became even more difficult before the hour mark as Daire O’Connor was sent off for a second yellow card.

Derry quickly took advantage as they finally made it 4-0 when Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe headed home from close range to seal the match ball.

The majority of the 2,302 in attendance did have something minor to celebrate late on when Graham Cummins netted a header of his own to give his side a consolation.

Cork City: Mark McNulty; Conor McCarthy, Dan Casey, Sean McLoughlin, Kevin O'Connor; Conor McCormack, Garry Buckley (Garry Comerford 91); Daire O’Connor, Gearoid Morrissey (Darragh Rainsford ht), James Tilley (Ronan Hurley 57); Graham Cummins.

Derry City: Peter Cherrie; Jamie McDonagh, Eoin Toal, Ally Gilchrist, Ciaran Coll; Gerardo Bruna (Jack Malone 71), Gregg Sloggett; Ciaron Harkin, Barry McNamee (Shane McNamee 79), Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe (Eoghan Stokes 71); David Parkhouse.

Referee: Robert Hennessy (Limerick).