Derry City got back to winning ways and in doing so compounded more misery on Cork City.

Goals from Eoin Toal and Jamie McDonagh sealed the deserved win for the Candy Stripes, who in truth should have won by a bigger margin.

As for the Rebel Army, who had midfielder Conor McCormack sent-off in the second half, they continue to struggle as the pressure mounts on boss John Caulfield.

Derry took the lead on 23 minutes after goalkeeping error by Cork’s Mark McNulty. Jamie McDonagh’s tantalising inswinging free-kick from the left, led to McNulty hesitating to come off his line and Derry centre-back Eoin Toal was on hand to slide the ball home from close range.


Minutes later a well worked corner by Derry nearly resulted in a second goal, as Barry McNamee’s right wing corner found Patrick McClean, but his header was straight at McNulty.

Declan Devine’s side started the second half on the front foot and they went close to doubling their advantage as that man McDonagh played in another super cross into the six yard box, which caused problems for McNulty, but neither Ogedi-Uzokwe or Darren Cole could turn home the loose ball.

Cork went close to levelling things just before the hour mark but after a lung bursting run, Garry Buckley’s long range strike, was turned around his left hand post by a diving Peter Cherrie.

On 67 minutes, a Barry McNamee free-kick should have picked out Toal, but the big centre-back failed to get a connection on the ball when totally unmarked.Soon after Cork were inches away from levelling things as Conor McCarthy’s towering header, which had Cherrie beaten, was cleared off the line by Ciaron Harkin.

Derry's David Parkhouse and Cork's Karl Sheppard

The home side went close to adding a second on 76 minutes but Cole’s curling strike, was tipped around the post by a diving McNulty. Derry should have increased their lead on 78 minutes after they were awarded a penalty, when Conor McCormack pulled down McNamee inside the box.

Referee Robert Harvey then cautioned McCormack for a second time before sending him off; unfortunately for the ex-Derry man, McDonagh’s resulting penalty was saved by McNulty.

To their credit the ten men went close to equalising a minute later but James Tilley’s 20 yard drive was saved by Cherrie. Derry who had a few chances on the counter attack to score a second, deservedly sealed the post in fantastic fashion as Harkin’s lay off found McDonagh on the edge of the box and the winger made up for his penalty miss, by drilling the ball low into McNulty’s bottom right hand corner.

Derry City: Peter Cherrie, Darren Cole, Eoin Toal, Patrick McClean, Ciaran Coll; Ciaron Harkin, Greg Sloggett, Barry McNamee; Jamie McDonagh, David Parkhouse (Eoghan Stokes 90), Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe.

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Conor McCarthy, Dan Casey, Sean McLoughlin, Shane Griffin; Conor McCormack, Garry Buckley, Daire O’Connor (Daniel Smith HT), James Tilley; Darragh Rainsford, Karl Sheppard (Darragh Crowley 80).

Referee: Robert Harvey (Dublin).