Lazio midfielder Lucas Leiva has been fined €10,000 despite claiming as "totally false and unfounded" suggestions he made derogatory remarks towards a disabled employee of AC Milan in the wake of a contentious 1-0 defeat.
Saturday's Serie A match at San Siro was a fractious affair, culminating in a mass brawl after the final whistle which was sparked by Lazio defender Luiz Felipe's attack on Milan striker Suso.
Former Liverpool player Lucas, who spent 10 years at Anfield before moving to Lazio in July 2017, is alleged to have later told Milan's wheelchair-bound press officer Ugo Allevi to 'just sit there and shut up'.
A decision issued by Serie A's guidice sportivo (sporting judge) found Lucas to "have uttered offensive words against the press officer of the opposing team", resulting in the fine.
Lucas had earlier used his Instagram account to launch an impassioned defence of himself.
"I would like to make it clear that the accusations recently made against my person regarding any facts post-match in Milan are totally false and unfounded," wrote Lucas.
"It is my concern to highlight in a peremptory manner this regrettable and totally false claim about me, since during my career I have never allowed myself to lack respect for anyone.
"This is absolutely not part of my professional behaviour and also offends not only third parties but also me on a human level.
"Certainly in football matches, with their competitive tension, I may have said many things but there is always a limit that I never allow myself to overcome as my education, based on respect and common sense, would never let me tolerate that conduct."
Lucas was one of a number of players fined, with AC's Andrea Bertolacci, Franck Kessie and Mateo Musacchio, along with Lazio's Patric and Luiz Felipe, all hit with €10,000 penalties.
The Rossoneri were also fined the same amount after a fan spat at Lazio head coach Simone Inzaghi during the second half.