A David Parkhouse double handed Derry City the bragging rights as they overcame neighbours Finn Harps in the northwest derby.

Substitute Aidy Delap struck early in the second half to hand the Candystripes the lead against 10-man Harps who had Colm Deasy dismissed just before the break.

Harps rallied and mustered a leveller through Nathan Boyle, but a stronger Derry netted twice through Parkhouse in the final stretch, to seal their third league win of the season.

Harps did net a second through Mikey Place deep into injury time but it was no more than a consolation prize as Derry picked up the points.

We need your consent to load this Facebook contentWe use Facebook to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Following a competitive start, it was Derry who might have hit the lead on the quarter hour. Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe nodding over Parkhouse’s cross to the front post.

Harps had a goal chalked off 23 minutes in when Derry goalkeeper Nathan Gartside’s kick-out was blocked by Sam Todd, who had his back turned to the City net minder. Boyle finished to an empty net but referee Neil Doyle adjudged Todd to have impeded play.

Declan Devine’s men enjoyed a short spell of dominance as they pushed for the opener.

Todd was caught in possession at the edge of the box, but Ciaron Harkin couldn’t capitalise on the defender’s lapse as he failed to keep his effort from Barry McNamee’s cross under Ciaran Gallagher’s crossbar.

Gallagher had to push away Jamie McDonagh’s rasping angled drive, 60 seconds before Harps were reduced to ten.

Deasy’s rash and utterly needless lunge just inside the City half sent Ciaran Coll sprawling. The ex-Harps man was subsequently stretchered off after a prolonged period of treatment on the sideline.

The Donegal outfit quickly regrouped and almost took the lead before the break.

Gartside and Keith Cowan became entangled as both men challenged for Caolan McAleer’s corner. Cowan won the duel but couldn’t direct the ball beyond the Derry goal line.

The second half was eight minutes old when the Candystripes got their heads in front.

Delap’s over-cooked cross from the right was rescued on the far side by Uzokwe. The striker found Delap at the edge of the six yard box and the Donegal native fired past Gallagher first time, for his maiden goal of 2019.

Daniel O’Reilly almost restored parity just past the hour. Gartside pulling off a superb reaction save to repel the full back’s downward header from close range.

A battling Harps did have their equaliser on 75. Sam Todd directing John Kavangh’s cross into the path of Boyle who executed a composed finish to tie the game.

Parkhouse rose highest to latch on to a wonderful Jamie McDonagh cross to fire Derry into the lead on 82 while the same man was on hand to make the most of a Gallagher mishap to tap into an unmanned goalmouth with just added time to play.

Harps brought it back to a one goal game six minutes into injury-time when Place slotted past Gartside from twelve yards after Gartside tugged Cowan to the ground.

Finn Harps: Ciaran Gallagher; Keith Cowan, Niall Logue, Sam Todd; Colm Deasy, Daniel O’Reilly; Tony McNamee, John Kavanagh, Jacob Borg; Caolan McAleer; Nathan Boyle (Mikey Place 82).

Derry City: Nathan Gartside; Conor McDermott (Darren Cole 57), Ally Gilchrist, Eoin Toal, Ciaran Coll (Aidy Delap 41) (Eoghan Stokes 84); Jamie McDonagh, Greg Sloggett, Ciaron Harkin, Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe; Barry McNamee; David Parkhouse.

Referee: Neil Doyle