Steve Cook scored a second-half winner as Bournemouth scraped into the Carabao Cup quarter-finals with an unconvincing 2-1 win over Norwich.

Defender Cook smashed home following a corner 18 minutes from time at the Vitality Stadium to see off the dogged Sky Bet Championship visitors.

Norwich more than matched the hosts on Tuesday evening and looked like they might cause an upset when Onel Hernandez cancelled out Junior Stanislas' first-half opener.

Victory for the Premier League Cherries, who are sixth in the top flight, maintains their unbeaten home record and puts them in the last eight of the tournament for the second successive season.

In-form Norwich, who also made eight changes for the tie, had the better of the first-half play and edged possession.

The Canaries - fourth in the second tier following eight wins from 10 in all competitions - threatened an opener when Felix Passlack flashed an attempt across goal following Mario Vrancic's superb cross-field pass.

Stanislas put the hosts in front six minutes before the break. Having received the ball wide on the left from Defoe, the forward advanced into the box, bamboozled Alex Tettey with a couple of step-overs and smashed his third goal of the campaign into the roof of Michael McGovern's net.

Norwich continued to cause their hosts problems after the break and levelled with 20 minutes remaining.

Tom Trybull lifted the ball over Bournemouth backline and Hernandez, who had earlier tested Boruc with a low shot at the near post, bobbled a finish into the bottom left corner.

Parity lasted all of two minutes though as Bournemouth sealed their place in Wednesday evening's quarter-final draw.

City failed to clear a left-wing corner and, after Pugh's initial effort was blocked, Cook blasted through a crowded penalty area to the relief of the home fans.

Jake Hesketh celebrates his goal for Burton

In the evening's other game Burton produced a stunning performance to move into the last eight of the with a 3-2 victory over Championship promotion-chasers Nottingham Forest.

All the goals came in a thrilling second half, with Scott Fraser's speculative shot dropping in off Saidy Janko to set Nigel Clough's men on their way to a famous victory.

Fraser blasted home their second on 64 minutes before substitute Lewis Grabban pulled one back.

Jake Hesketh's superb volley restored Albion's two-goal lead with seven minutes to play but substitute Arvin Appiah set up a nervy finish, scoring at the second attempt in stoppage time.

For Albion, the lowest-ranked side left in the competition, it represents their first trip to the last eight of the Carabao Cup after a run that has seen them dump Aston Villa and Premier League Burnley out of the competition in earlier rounds.