Eoghan Stokes came off the bench to score a cracking goal to put the gloss on victory for Bohemians at the Carlisle Grounds.

Their first back-to-back league wins of the season moves Keith Long’s Gypsies six points clear of the relegation play-off place in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division.

Failing to build on their rousing win over Derry City last week sees Bray remain six points adrift at the foot of the table.

Bohemians started full of purpose, coming close to a third minute lead before deservedly doing so three minutes later.

Dinny Corcoran met the first corner of the game from Keith Ward to bring a save with his feet from Bray keeper Evan Moran with a close range downward header.

Moran was beaten shortly afterwards. The inventive Ward again was instrumental, dinking a delightful through ball over the top.

Corcoran timed his run well to poke the ball past the advancing Moran for his fourth goal of the season.

Utterly dominant, the visitors were almost in behind the sluggish Bray defence again on 12 minutes, Dylan Watts’ pass running just out of reach of Ward.

Struggling to get a foothold in the game, it was 21 minutes before home skipper Gary McCabe initiated Bray’s first meaningful attack as Wanderers felt they might have had a penalty.

Dinny Corcoran of Bohs

In from McCabe’s ball, left winger Cory Galvin certainly appeared to be nudged over by the back-tracking Danny Grant. Referee Sean Grant deemed it dive, though, giving a free out and a yellow card to Galvin. 

Bohemians remained very much the better side with Moran making his second save of note in the game just before the half hour when getting down to gather a diving header by Ward from Kevin Devaney’s left flank cross.

Ward wasn’t to be denied as Bohemians extended their lead on 32 minutes.

Skipper Shane Supple’s goal kick was helped on to put Ward in down the inside left channel. The finish was sublime as the Gypsies’ number 10 found the net with a skilful lob over the stranded Moran.

Galvin’s curling left foot shot cannoned back into play off the Bohemians crossbar before Bray got back into the game in first half stoppage time, McCabe blasting home a penalty after Supple had taken down Ronan Coughlan.

Encouraged by that, Bray came out for the second half with much added impetus. And they weren’t far off an equaliser five minutes in.

Central defender Sean Heaney met McCabe’s diagonal free kick with a looping head that Oscar Brennan had to clear over the bar for a corner.

Though they enjoyed plenty of the ball, Bray failed to work the Bohemians defence.

Substitute Stokes then struck to seal the visitors’ win on 74 minutes. Picking the ball up on the right flank, the striker hit a dipping right-foot drive that flew past Moran to the net.

Bray Wanderers: Evan Moran; Dan McKenna, Conor Kenna, Sean Heaney, Andrew McGovern; Rhys Gorman (Ger Pender 76), Paul O’Conor; Daniel Kelly, Gary McCabe, Cory Galvin; Ronan Coughlan.

Bohemians: Shane Supple; Keith Buckley, Rob Cornwall, Dan Casey, Ian Morris; Oscar Brennan, Dylan Watts (Philly Gannon 88); Danny Grant (Eoghan Stokes 68), Keith Ward (Dan Byrne 73), Kevin Devaney; Dinny Corcoran. 

Referee: Sean Grant (Wexford).