Cork City romped to a 5-0 victory at Turner’s Cross in the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division to condemn Wexford Youths to a relegation play-off tie.

The victory for Cork ensured that Wexford Youths can no longer catch Finn Harps in ninth place.

Shane Keegan’s side will now have to overcome either Drogheda United or Cobh Ramblers if they are to retain their top-flight status.

Having watched Dundalk secure their third league title in a row on Sunday evening, Cork went out with a point to prove at Turner’s Cross and signed off in style in their final home game of the season.

Chiedozie Ogbene, who has been one of the stars of the Cork City Under-19 team in their Uefa Youth League, was given a start by manager John Caulfield and made an immediate impact.

The 19-year-old displayed his instincts as an attacker to open the scoring after just seven minutes with a neat finish from inside the penalty area.

Ogbene, who was outstanding throughout, doubled his side’s lead two minutes later with another smart finish, this time getting on the end of an assist from Gavan Holahan.

With less than 10 minutes on the clock, the game already seemed to be over as a contest and it looked as if it were only a matter of time before the home side scored again.

So it proved to be, and on 33 minutes Sean Maguire broke free of his marker and rounded Graham Doyle in the Wexford goal before firing home into an empty net.

Five minutes later and it was 4-0 when Conor McCarthy got the last touch to a scramble in the box, bundling over the ball from close range.

With the points already secured by half-time, Caulfield made changes for Cork, bringing on Ian Turner and Cian Coleman for Maguire and Stephen Dooley, but it made no difference to the pattern of the game as Cork continued to dominate.

Goal number five came on 57 minutes, with the livewire Ogbene turning provider as he laid the ball off for Holohan, who slotted home from the edge of the penalty area.

City had further chances but were unable to add to their lead. 

Ogbene was handed the opportunity to complete his hat-trick from the penalty spot but saw his effort parried away by Doyle, before Turner rattled the crossbar with a powerful long-range effort.

For Wexford, thoughts now turn to that relegation/promotion play-off, with the first leg at home on 31 October.