Bohemians 1-0 Rovers

Roberto Lopes dented Shamrock Rovers European dream as his 15th minute header gave Bohemian’s the bragging rights in the Dublin derby.

Shamrock Rover captain Pat Cregg saw red in the 60th minute for a second yellow card, adjudged a dive by referee Paul Tuite.

The victory was Bohs first win of the season over their south Dublin rivals and means Rovers still have some work to do to secure European football in 2017.

Rovers had real intent in their play early on with Gary Shaw and Dean Clarke combining after four minutes in the centre of the field.

Shaw’s long range drive had Supple at full stretch, the shot however was always rising and surprisingly that was the best it got for Rovers in the opening period.

By the quarter-hour Bohs had grown in confidence and with the lively trio of Kavanagh, Kurtis Byrne and Keith Buckley looked the more likely to score.

It was Kavanagh’s persistence which helped break the deadlock, Rovers struggling to contain the roaming winger his persistence finding some joy down the Rovers left hand side.

Fitzgerald’s resulting left footed corner was totally misjudged by Barry Murphy coming from his line and flapping at air, only to see Lopes plant his header into the net for a 15th minute lead.

Rovers struggled to contain Bohs as the first half wore on, the half hour mark seeing Bohs coming close to doubling their advantage.

Keith Buckley the architect of a delightful through ball opening Rovers up, Kurtis Byrne’s lay off finding Lopes whose blasted shot was blocked by Shane Hanney.

The rebound fell to Jake Kelly’s whose 30-yard-rocket shot saw Murphy at full stretch across his goal, the shot was off target to Rovers relief.

Bohs picked up from the restart where they had left off with the same intensity, which Rovers struggled to contain with convincing certainty.

However the visitors did eventually work their way into the game but just as Rovers started to get a foothold they were reduced to ten men, captain Cregg receiving a second yellow.

It was harsh on Cregg who received his first yellow card five minutes earlier, Cregg making his way into the Bohs box and going down under no real pressure.

Referee Tuite had no hesitation in brandishing a second yellow card to the Scotsman and reducing Rovers to 10 men for the final 25 minutes.

Gary Shaw came close to spoiling the party in the fourth minute of stoppage time, but his header found the roof of the net from Luke Kiely’s cross and it was Bohs night to party in Dublin.

Bohemian: Shane Supple, Derek Pender, Derek Prendergast, Ian Morris, Lorcan Fitzgerald, Patrick Kavanagh (Mark Quigley), Keith Buckley, Roberto Lopes, Eoin Wearen (Dan Byrne 86), Jake Kelly, Kurtis Byrne (Dylan O’Halloran 76)

Shamrock Rovers: Barry Murphy, Shane Hanney (Luke Kiely 81), David Webster, David O’Connor, Simon Madden, Sean Boyd, Patrick Cregg, Gary McCabe, Brandon Miele, Gary Shaw, Dean Clarke (Aaron Bolger 70)

Referee: Paul Tuite (Dublin)