Bray Wanderers 3-0 Wexford Youths

Harry Kenny has earned his first win since he was made Bray’s permanent manager, with the Seagulls easily overcoming Wexford Youths at the Carlisle Grounds.

Despite earning a credible goalless draw last weekend away to Sligo Rovers, Bray entered this game without a win in their last ten league and cup games.

Goals from Dean Kelly, Andrew Lewis and Karl Moore ensured the home side tasted victory for the first time since April however, and leapfrog Wexford Youths in the Premier Division table in the process.

It was Wanderers that opened the scoring in this relegation six-pointer after 32 minutes following a fine finish from Dean Kelly - although Shane Keegan’s side may feel hard done by, after a decision in the lead up to the goal went against his team.

Kelly, who scored in the friendly victory over Scottish Championship side Falkirk in midweek, coolly converted from the edge of the box, although Hugh Douglas appeared to commit a foul in the opposition’s area.

Referee Graham Kelly ignored calls for a foul, despite appearing to put his whistle to his mouth, to relief of the home side.

The Seagulls opted to utilise the pace of Dylan Connolly throughout the match and it was the winger’s darting run, following a Youths attack, that led to the goal after Graham Doyle tipped away Ryan Brennan’s effort after some neat passing.

From the resulting corner, Kelly netted his third league goal of the season, after the corner was half-cleared by the Youths defence.

Indeed, the former Shamrock Rovers man was denied by Doyle earlier in the half, but the goalkeeper was more than a match for the 31-year-old’s free-kick.

Just four minutes after the break Bray doubled their lead when Gareth McDonagh’s cross from the right flank was met by the unmarked Andrew Lewis in the box and he easily put his header past the helpless Doyle for his third league goal of the season.

And it was the pace of Connolly that once again reaped havoc in the Youths defence for the third goal.

The former Ipswich Town man stormed down the left flank to put in an inch-perfect cross for the oncoming Karl Moore to head home.

Before the game Youths manager Shane Keegan called for his side to show a greater level of game-intelligence, to convert good performances into points, but the visitors once again failed to take any of the chances that fell to them.

Early on, Danny Furlong’s first-time volley was straight at Peter Cherrie, while a long-range free-kick from Paul Murphy was easily gathered by the Bray goalkeeper.

Bray now move ahead of Keegan’s side into 10th position, after four successive league defeats for the newly promoted side.

Bray Wanderers:Peter Cherrie,Gareth McDonagh, Hugh Douglas, ConorKenna,Sean Harding; Karl Moore (Sean Noble 86’), Mark Salmon (DarraghNoone 83’), Ryan Brennan, Dylan Connolly; Dean Kelly (Ger Pender 73’), Andrew Lewis.

Subs not used: Sean Fogarty, Daniel Blackbyrne, Kieran Butler, Jason Marks.

Wexford Youths:Graham Doyle;Conor O’Keefe, Gary Delaney, Ryan Delaney,Craig McCabe;Eric Molloy (Daniel Ledwit 90’), Chris Kenny (Shane Dunne 54’),Jonny Bonner, Andy Mulligan (Aidan Friel 90’), Danny Furlong, Paul Murphy.

Subs not used:Matt Connor, Stephen Last, Conor Whittle, John Peare.

Referee: Graham Kelly

Shane Costello