Galway United 2-2 Longford Town

Longford Town delivered a determined second-half display to secure a share of the SSE Airtricity League Premier Division spoils at Eamonn Deacy Park.

Opening-period goals from Vinny Faherty and Enda Curran had Galway in command, but Longford recovered after the restart.

Josh O’Hanlon scored in the 60th minute and a freak Conor Winn own goal on 69 ensured the midlanders’ persistence was rewarded in the west.

Galway made a sharp start, scoring in the second minute when Curran manufactured space on the right wing before crossing for Faherty, who supplied an opportunistic finish for his eighth goal of the campaign.

Tony Cousins’ visitors did spurn a seventh-minute chance when David O’Sullivan failed to convert an inviting Kevin O’Connor corner.

Despite that scare Galway did control matters initially with lively winger Gary Shanahan denied by a smart Paul Skinner save in the 10th minute.

John Sullivan was influential for the hosts in the opening quarter as Tommy Dunne’s charges settled impressively.

Buoyed up by their recent form, Galway added a second on the half-hour mark with Longford’s poor concentration levels punished again.

Prominent Galway skipper Ryan Connolly delivered a deep corner which was converted at the back stick by Curran.

That was an important blow for the Connacht team, who departed at the break content with how the first half had unfolded.

Three minutes after the restart Longford substitute Kaleem Simon’s free-kick was headed wide by O’Sullivan as the visitors threatened.

Galway goalkeeper Conor Winn did well to make a splendid reflex save from Noel Haverty in the 57th minute.

But the deficit was trimmed in the 60th minute as O’Hanlon headed home in a packed area to stun Galway.

Parity was restored in bizarre circumstances on 69 when O’Hanlon’s effort struck the post and then hit Winn prior to the ball crossing the line.

In the last minute Galway substitute Ruairi Keating was thwarted by a brilliant goal-line clearance by Longford captain Conor Powell.

Galway United: Conor Winn; Colm Horgan, Paul Sinnott, Kilian Cantwell, Stephen Walsh; Gary Shanahan, John Sullivan, Ryan Connolly, Marc Ludden; Enda Curran (Padraic Cunningham, 65, Ruairi Keating, 68), Vinny Faherty.

Subs not used: Kevin Horgan, Alex Byrne, Eric Foley, Conor Melody, Cormac Raftery.

Longford Town: Paul Skinner; Noel Haverty (James Mulhall, 76), Mark Rossiter, Pat Flynn, Conor Powell; Don Cowan (Kaleem Simon, 46), Philip Gannon, Kevin O'Connor, David O'Sullivan; Mark Hughes (Kealon Dillon, 66); Josh O'Hanlon.

Subs not used: Peter McGlynn, Tristan Noack Hofman, John McKeon, Ian Molloy.

Referee: Paul McLaughlin (Monaghan).