Bray Wanderers 4-0 Sligo Rovers

Bray Wanderers picked up their first SSE Airtricity League Premier Division win of the season with a 4-0 win over Sligo Rovers at the Carlisle Grounds.

Rovers had shaded the opening half, but defensive errors from the away side during an action packed second half gifted the Seagulls a big win. 

Ryan Brennan put Bray ahead on 48 minutes before Karl Moore doubled the lead on the hour mark. Brennan netted his brace soon after with Andrew Lewis completing the rout five minutes from time.

Sligo started the brighter and full back Regan Donelon forced Peter Cherrie into a smart save with just two minutes played. Donelon's left-footed effort palmed away by the Scottish net minder.

The home side were forced into an early change when Mark Salmon collided with Chris Lyons at the edge of the Bray area.

Rovers continued to press early on. Cherrie scrambled Lyons's effort off the line after the former Wanderers striker latched on to the end of Kieran Sadlier's cross from the right.

Liam Martin should have put Sligo into the lead on 14. The Donegal man took Jimmy Keohane's cross into his stride before turning and shooting, but manage to sky his close-range effort.

Bray slowly settled and Jason Marks registered the Seagull's first chance of the game on 26 minutes, but could only shoot over from Brennan's pass.

Dean Kelly was next to go close for Mick Cooke's charges. He rushed to the front post following a Curtis Murphy corner but was unlucky to see his bullet header fly by Ciaran Nugent's front post.

The home side took the lead three minutes into the second half. Rovers failed to clear Alan McNally's long ball as possession fell to Lewis who in turn found Brennan. The winger lashed the ball past debutant Nugent who may feel he could have done better in dealing with the effort.

Bray doubled their lead on the hour mark. Gavin Peers failed to deal with another long ball forward from the home defence. Kelly took full advantage as he squared for Moore who finished past Nugent.

Two became three on 66 minutes as Donelon and Nugent both failed to clear Brennan's corner. The ball drifted inside the front post after the slightest touch off Donelon with the American goalkeeper stranded.

The Bray pressure continued and Nugent did well to get his body behind Hugh Douglas's shot from 15 yards on 71 minutes.

Cherrie kept Rovers at bay with a quarter of an hour remaining. Substitute John Russell released Sadlier down the Sligo left. The Irish underage international found Martin inside the six yard box but the young striker was foiled by a strong arm from the Scot.

Raffaele Cretaro saw his cross-come-shot graze the Bray crossbar ten minutes from time.

Wanderers capitalised on Rovers' defensive frailties once more with five minutes left on the clock.

Sligo again struggled to clear their lines as Lewis neatly tucked away Marks' free from the left.

Bray Wanderers: Peter Cherrie; Hugh Douglas, Conor Kenna, Alan McNally, Curtis Murphy (for Gareth McDonagh 84); Ryan Brennan, Mark Salmon (for Alan Byrne 6), Andrew Lewis, Jason Marks, Karl Moore; Dean Kelly (for Ger Pender 80).

Sligo Rovers: Ciaran Nugent; Tobi Adebayo-Rowling, Tim Clancy (for Mick Leahy 45), Gavin Peers, Regan Donelon; Kieran Sadlier, Jimmy Keohane, Jordan Richards (for John Russell 73), Craig Roddan, Liam Martin; Chris Lyons (for Raffaele Cretaro 62).

Referee: Sean Grant.