Rob Elliot produced an outstanding display to keep Bournemouth at bay and help earn Newcastle United a much-needed 1-0 victory at Dean Court.

The former Charlton Athletic man was called up to the Ireland squad before the 2-1 defeat against Poland in Warsaw, staying on the bench as Darren Randolph took the No 1 jersey in the absence of the injured Shay Given.

He had limped out of last Sunday's 0-0 draw with Stoke with a recurrence of a thigh injury, but was fit to start at Bournemouth – and produced a man-of-the match performance, as manager Steve McClaren earned his first win on the road with the Toon.

Ayoze Perez's sucker-punch strike secured the points for Newcastle, who only produced that solitary shot on target.

Newcastle rode their luck en route to their second Barclays Premier League win of the campaign, and their first away victory since a 3-0 triumph at Hull City on January 31.

Elliot pulled off at least five crucial saves to frustrate Eddie Howe's creative but toothless Bournemouth - and that after remaining a doubt right up until kick-off.

Newcastle took teenage academy keeper Brendan Pearson to the south coast, and the 18-year-old even warmed up just in case Elliot's injury worsened again.

McClaren did not need to call on the youngster, however, as Elliot eased Newcastle's goalkeeping woes with Tim Krul and Karl Darlow sidelined.

Bournemouth laid consistent siege to his goal in a one-sided first-half, only to turn around trailing to the visitors' solitary strike. Josh King and Matt Ritchie will kick themselves for weak finishes, while Adam Smith fired just over with the goal at his mercy.

Elliot's best save of the half came from Dan Gosling's far-post header - the 29-year-old stopper cementing his inspired showing with a smart point-blank save.

Bournemouth should have easily capitalised on Newcastle's midfield misalignment and defensive disarray - instead McClaren's men rode their luck and grabbed the lead.

Aleksandar Mitrovic's flick opened the space for Georginio Wijnaldum to play in Perez, with the Spain forward toe-poking home. Adam Federici ought to have kept out the tame effort, but Newcastle's battling horde could hardly have cared less.

The second half opened in exactly the same vein as the first, with Elliot again denying the hosts.
Ritchie raced onto a dangerous cross to head goalwards, only for the Newcastle goalkeeper to tip over the bar.

Gosling fluffed another effort to continue the trend and then Junior Stanislas blasted wildly over the bar in acres of space.

Chancel Mbemba barged Andrew Surman off the ball in the box just past the hour, but referee Lee Mason waved away Bournemouth's penalty calls.

After so many half-chances and missed opportunities, the hosts' heads finally dropped, leaving the tie to peter out somewhat.

A curiously-high tally of six additional minutes rallied Bournemouth slightly, but still Newcastle clung on for a victory to boost their bid to ease away from the relegation zone.