Prince Ali of Jordan has announced he will run again for the FIFA presidency next year.

And he has thrown down the gauntlet to his rivals including Michel Platini by claiming they ‘didn't have the guts’ to challenge Sepp Blatter.

The prince, who lost May's election to Blatter by 130 votes to 73, made the announcement in a speech made in his native country.

He will face opposition from UEFA president Platini and Korea's Chung Mong-joon in the election on February 26.

Former Brazil star Zico has also declared his intention to run. Platini supported the Jordanian prince in the last election, but is now clear favourite to succeed Blatter.

Prince Ali, son of the late King Hussein of Jordan, has says the former French midfielder represents 'old FIFA'.

His speech also made pointed remarks that others had been afraid to challenge Blatter, who is stepping down after 17 controversial years at the helm.

He said: "Ten months ago, I was the only person who dared to challenge Mr Blatter for the presidency of FIFA.

"I ran because I believe that FIFA needs change.  And I had the courage to fight for change when others were afraid.

"I conceded that election. Not because I was not the best candidate, but because others were using me to make room for themselves. They didn't have the guts to run, but I did.

“Ever since President Blatter promised his resignation just a few days later, they have been scrambling to secure the job for themselves.

"I didn't stand for election the first time to make way for others. This election should be about football and not personal ambition. I will not be a pawn for others.

“I cannot leave the field that I have cleared, only to allow a flawed system to continue."

The FIFA election takes place against the backdrop of investigations into football-related corruption that has seen 18 people indicted by the US justice department.

Blatter is a divisive figure in world football and his reputation was badly tarnished by the scandals that rocked FIFA this year.