Bradford striker Billy Clarke has hit a rich vein of form of late and his two-goal salvo against Oldham not only gave his side a 2-0 lead but saw them move to within two points of the play-off places in League One.

The Cork frontman was lively and dangerous throughout and broke the deadlock on 71 minutes with a clever back-heel from close range.

The result remained in question up until injury time when Clarke made sure of the points with a powerfully drilled low effort from 15-yards out that gave goalkeeper Joel Coleman no chance in the Oldham goal.

Mark Yeates also featured for Bradford but despite having a couple of early chances, he was replaced on 61 minutes.

Ireland Under-21 international Conor Wilkinson started for Oldham, just 48-hours after lining out for his national side against Andorra and had several chances of his own.

The Oldham striker really should have done better with his effort in the opening minutes when he blasted wide after being presented with a clear shot on goal. He also had a decent opportunity from 10-yards after 54 minutes but was unable to keep the ball down and it blazed over the bar.

At the top of the table Bristol City extended their lead to 11 points as they battled from behind for a 2-2 draw with Barnsley.

Derrick Williams again started in defence for City and will be disappointed that his side conceded twice but he did have a chance to make amends at the other end, firstly sliding a great through-ball for Joe Bryan whose shot was blocked before it rebounded to Williams, who was also denied by the Barnsley goalkeeper.

Conor Hourihane was named in the Barnsley side and created several decent chances for his side and he played a part in his their first goal, with his free-kick sparking off the move that led to Jabo Ibehre’s goal.

Former Sligo Rovers manager Paul Cook saw his Chesterfield side move to within two points of the play-offs with a narrow 1-0 win over Walsall.

The crucial goal came just four minutes from time and it was from a deep corner-kick by Jimmy Ryan, which was headed home by Sam Hird.

Jay O’Shea was also involved for Chesterfield and had several chances to open the scoring early on but he spurned those opportunities and was replaced with 20 minutes to go.

It was a similar story for Walsall’s Liam Forde. He has a couple of decent early chances but was unable to make them count or impose himself on the game and was hauled off on the 60 minute mark.

Former Shamrock Rovers and Cork City striker David Mooney was on the mark in Leyton Orient’s 3-1 victory over Port Vale, a result which sees troubled Orient move to within one point of getting out of the relegation zone.

With his side trailing 1-0, Chris Dagnall was hauled downed in the penalty area and Mooney stepped up, sending the goalkeeper the wrong way and levelling the scores.

Mooney then forced a fine save from goalkeeper Sam Johnson before he was then fouled in the box by the keeper, leaving the referee with no choice but to point to the spot but this time Johnson atoned for his error with a save.

Speaking afterwards, Mooney said: "It was a massive win, in the first 25 minutes of the first-half I thought we were excellent and we started the second-half really well and managed to get three really good goals in the second half, so long may that continue."

"I've played in a number of positions this season, I haven't really been able to get any fluency in my game. But today, on a personal level I thought I played well."

John Egan’s Gillingham got the better of Crawley Town, edging to a 2-1 victory but it wasn’t one of Egan’s better games and he won’t be happy with the way he was caught flat-footed for Izale McLeod’s goal.

Paddy Madden and Niall Canavan both played their part in Scunthorpe's 2-2 draw with Notts County but it was former Ireland Under-21 Canavan who made the most telling contribution, heading home an equaliser with four minutes to go.

Canavan rose above everyone else to power Gary McSheffrey’s cross to the back of the net and earn his side a point. Paddy Madden was involved in Scunthorpe’s first goal as his header came back off the crossbar before Theo Robinson bundled home the rebound.

In League Two Anthony O’Connor and Carl McHugh both impressed in Plymouth Argyle’s 3-0 victory away to Cheltenham Town.

McHugh got Cheltenham up and running as his surging burst forward allowed him to put Reuben Reid on goal and the frontman found the net. O’Connor then helped the visitors to wrap things up as he whipped in a perfect cross that just invited Zak Ansah to head home which he duly did.

Pat Hoban helped Oxford United to come from behind and claim a 2-1 victory at home to Carlisle, playing a star role and finally opening his account, scoring his first goal since joining from Dundalk.

Looking dangerous throughout, Hoban equalised for his side, powerfully heading home from a Kemar Roofe cross, to cancel out Paul Corry's opener for Carlise.

Former UCD player Corry, on loan from Sheffield Wednesday scored from a 35-yard freekick that no-one in the Oxford defence dealt with, allowing it to bounce through and into the net.

However Hoban levelled before half-time and said afterward “They are the kind of chances I feed off. I have scored quite a lot of headers in the past, so when the ball came in I was just delighted. I had made the run, so if (Roofe) took another touch I would have been out of the equation, because I’ve met it full-on.

“Scoring is something I’ve been dreaming about since I’ve been here and thankfully it’s happened, he said afterwards. “It’s a bit of a relief obviously to get my first goal, but the three points were very important.”

Liam Lawrence returned to haunt former club Portsmouth as he helped to lead Shrewsbury to a 2-0 win over the fallen giants.

Lawrence, who captain Pompey but agreed to tear up his contract when they were faced with administration, admitted to having a soft spot for his former club afterwards but he was all business on the pitch and a real driving force for Shrewsbury, creating their opening goal.

The Irish midfielder combined well with Bobby Grant, playing a clever one-two with the front-man to play him into space before he curled the ball home. 

James Collins was also lively for the Shrews, creating several chances and he was unlucky to see his second half effort tipped over the crossbar with his side 2-0 in front.

Further abroad and Andy Keogh’s Perth Glory battled back to a 3-2 victory over Western Sydney Wanderers in the A League. Keogh was busy throughout and worked hard but had few chances in front of goal.

Sean St Ledger had a mixed day as his Orlando City side drew 2-2 with Montreal Impact in the MLS. The Irish defender gave away a penalty after 14 minutes when he handled in the penalty area, which was tucked away easily.

However, he made up for that mistake immediately with a fine challenge on Jack McInerney, preventing what would have likely been a goal and after that he was solid if unspectacular in the Orlando back line.

Cork-born Shane O’Neill looks all but certain to declare for the USA national team after he was called into their Under-23 side.

O’Neill featured in the USA Under-23s 5-2 friendly victory over Bosnia, a warm-up game for their Olympic Games qualifiers.