A Serbian footballer has been threatened at gunpoint after missing a penalty in a recent top-flight league match, world players' union FIFPro has said.

Defender Zarko Udovicic missed an 85th-minute penalty to condemn Novi Pazar to a 1-0 defeat at SuperLiga rivals FK Rad on Saturday.

Two days later, a group of men reportedly broke into the dressing room at the club's training ground and held a gun to Udovicic's face.

"He (the gunman) could choose where he wanted to shoot me," the 27-year-old left-back told Serbian newspaper Zurnal.

"He asked me whether I had set up the game with our club's management. I said I did not."

Neither the Serbian Football Association nor the SuperLiga has taken any action so far - according to Mirko Poledica, president of the Serbian professional footballers' association Nezavisnost - and he fears that a footballer could be killed in the future.

"In the past years, I have heard about many violent incidents and you wonder when does it stop?" he was quoted as saying on FIFPro's website.

"What worries me is that there is no reaction from the football association. They remain quiet. They must do something to guarantee the safety of the players. But they don't.

"Next time a player could be murdered. Must we wait until some hooligan actually kills one of our football players?"

Novi Pazar host Cukaricki in SuperLiga action on Saturday.