Derry City have progressed to the EA SPORTS Cup quarter-finals after winning away at the Showgrounds, beating Sligo Rovers 1-0.

Roddy Collins' side had drawn their last four league games so the Candystripes will be delighted to get back to winning ways, especially against such quality opposition.

And sure enough, it was star striker Rory Patterson who grabbed the only goal of the game as City go into the hat for the last eight.

Dundalk are also through to the quarter-finals after a 3-0 win over Bray Wanderers at the Carlisle Grounds. 

After a goalless first half, the Premier Division leaders took the lead through David McMillan’s 51st-minute header.

Conor McDonald added another seven minutes later before McMillan scored his second to see off the Wicklow side’s challenge.

Shamrock Rovers joined the Lilywhites and Derry in the last eight after beating Drogheda United at United Park. 

Ciaran Kilduff put the holders ahead after just two minutes. The task was made harder for the home side when Alan McNally was sent off on 37 minutes.

Dean Kelly added a penalty in the 64th minute as United had Gavin Brennan sent off after two cautions to put them down to nine men, but they pulled a goal back through Eric Foley's penalty 15 minutes from time. 

However, Rovers held on to book a place in the quarter-final draw. 

Cork City bounced back from their 4-0 league hammering in Dundalk on Friday night, beating Munster rivals Waterford United 2-0 at Turner's Cross.

Garry Buckley's brace was the difference between the two sides as John Caulfield's side progress.

The First Division outfit were undone by two goals within four first-half minutes and Cork held on without any problems in the second half.

Galway are also through to the quarter-finals after beating fellow First Division side Finn Harps 1-0 at Eamonn Deacy Park.

Former St Patrick's Athletic striker Vinny Faherty grabbed the only goal of the game in the ninth minute at the Terryland venue.

Wexford Youths also made it through at the expense of Cobh Ramblers. Sean Skelly's goal was enough early in the second half. 

Bray Wanderers 0-3 Dundalk

Drogheda United 1-2 Shamrock Rovers

Cork City 2-0 Waterford United

Sligo Rovers 0-1 Derry City

Galway 1-0 Finn Harps

Wexford Youths 1-0 Cobh Ramblers