Derry City set up a quarter-final tie against Sligo Rovers in the FAI Ford Cup after recording a 2-1 third round win over Bluebell United.

Rory Patterson and Barry McNamee were City's goalscorers, while Peter Sherlock netted deep into injury-time at the end of the tie, but it was a case of too little, too late for the Dublin minnows.

City made three changes to the side which drew on Friday night, with Dean Jarvis getting his first start playing alongside Barry Molloy at the heart of their defence in place of Shane McEleney. Patrick McEleney and Mark Griffin came in for the injury Sean Houston and David McDaid, who dropped to the bench.

As for United, they made one change to their team, as Peter Darcy came in for Robert Douglas, who was a substitute.

A flowing move on eight minutes started with Ruaidhri Higgins finding Simon Madden and the right back’s centre found Patterson at the near post, but his glancing header failed to trouble United keeper Andy McNulty.

Debut boy Jarvis played a super pass out of defence to send Patterson clear on 20 minutes, but the frontman saw his drive from just inside the box, flash just past McNulty’s right-hand post.

Soon after, Patterson had another opportunity. This time McEleney’s drilled left-wing cross found the Strabane man at the back post totally unmarked, but his header was straight at McNulty.

McNulty came to his side’s rescue on 30 minutes, doing extremely well to keep out Griffin’s left-footed shot, which had goal written all over it.

The United keeper was finally beaten ten minutes before the break when McNamee nipped in to win the ball off Andrew Cleary before passing to Patterson, and he looked up and firmly planted the ball low into McNulty’s bottom right-hand corner.

City should have doubled their advantage on 55 minutes when McEleney’s clever through-ball saw the striker get clear inside the box, but his low drive was saved booted clear by McNulty.

Robert Douglas free-kick in the 66th minute picked out Peter Sherlock, but the big defender’s header from just inside the six-yard box sailed just past Doherty’s right-hand post.

The tie was ended a contest on 82 minutes when McNulty’s attempted pass to centre-back Sherlock only found an alert McNamee and he gleefully side-footed home into the empty net.

In stoppage-time, the Leinster Senior League side pulled one back when Sherlock, who was moved up front, turned the ball home after Jarvis had misjudged the high ball.

Derry City: Doherty, Madden, Molloy, Jarvis, Osbourne; Higgins, P McEleney, McNamee; Griffin (McDaid 72), Patterson, Kavanagh (Duffy 66). Subs: Rafter, Curran, Foy, Tracey, Ferry.

Bluebell United: McNulty, Rooney, Keeler, A Cleary, Sherlock, J Cleary (Douglas 57), Madden (Killeen 71), Stritch, Griffith, Darcy, Molloy (Stewart 57).

Referee: Mr Rob Rogers (Dublin).