Leinster Senior League side Bluebell United nearly caused a major upset after they deservedly earned a 0-0 draw at FAI Ford Cup holders Derry City.

The replay, which again will be back at the Brandywell, takes place on Tuesday evening.

The visitors were super throughout and centre-back Peter Sherlock picked up the Man of the Match award, with experienced striker Trevor Molloy also rolling back the years.

City made three changes to the side which lost to Drogheda United, with midfielder Barry McNamee making his first start in five games, replacing Michael Duffy who dropped to the bench, while Barry Molloy and David McDaid replaced injury duo Ryan McBride and Patrick McEleney.

It was that man McDaid was in the thick of things on 16 minutes, but his long range shot was kept out by United keeper Andy McNulty.

To their credit the Dubliner’s went close themselves a minute, but Robert Douglas’ stinging drive from just inside the box was parried away by a full stretched Gerard Doherty in the City goals.

As the first half was drawing to a close City went close breaking the deadlock in spectacular fashion.

Rory Patterson’s 35 yard free-kick was flying into the net, but for Bluebell keeper McNulty doing well to tip the ball over his crossbar.

The home side, who brought on Dean Jarvis for Eoghan Osbourne at the break, had strong claims for a penalty on 48 minutes after Patterson looked to be brought down by Peter Sherlock, but referee Paul McLaughlin waved play on.

On 62 minutes another Patterson free-kick, this time on the left hand side of the box, was fizzed through the wall but was straight at McNulty and the keeper did well to push the effort away.

Derry missed a golden opportunity on 72 minutes when Mark Griffin’s terrific right wing centre picked out an unmarked McDaid, but from just six yards he somehow headed over with only McNulty to beat.

Right at the death substitute Michael Duffy went close to winning the game but his left footed strike from 12 yards fizzed inches wide of McNulty’s left hand post.   

Derry City: Doherty, Madden, Molloy, McEleney, Osbourne (Jarvis H-T); Houston (Griffin 29), Higgins, McNamee; Kavanagh (Duffy 78), Patterson, McDaid.

Bluebell United: McNulty, Rooney, Keeler, A Cleary, Sherlock, J Cleary (Darcy 83), Douglas (Collins 59), Stritch (Stewart 65), Griffiths, Madden, Molloy.

Referee: Mr Paul McLaughlin (Monaghan).