Peamount United retained the Bus Éireann Women’s National League Cup this afternoon with a 6-3 win over Castlebar Celtic at the headquarters of the Mayo Football League in Milebush, Castlebar.

An open and entertaining game saw both sides playing attacking football, creating nine goals and plenty more shots on target over the 90 minutes.

Castlebar struggled in the opening period and found themselves two goals down after just six minutes.

Julie Anne Russell opened for Peamount three minutes in after she got her head on the end of a Sara Lawlor cross.

Minutes later, Stephanie Roche won possession in midfield and threaded a well-timed pass through to Sara Lawlor, who scored from inside the box.

Despite attempts to contain a ferocious Peamount attack, Castlebar conceded again in the 13th minute. Ruth Comeford’s pass was deflected into the path of Sara Lawlor, who ran into space in the box and slotted the ball past the keeper for her second.

Castlebar gathered themselves in the period that followed and some good pressure play won them two free-kicks just outside the box - in the 27th and 28th minutes - which were sent high and wide in both cases by Castlebar captain Katie Walsh.

The pressure paid off and in the 32nd minute Ruth Comerford of Peamount was dispossessed by Shaunagh Jackson in the penalty area. The ball fell to Sarah Rowe, who drove it past Peamount’s Monica McGuirk to end the first half 1-3.

Castlebar emerged in the second half more confident and they got another goal back in the 55th minute when Sarah Rowe gained possession just outside the box, took it past her defender and neatly slotted the ball past the advancing goalkeeper to make it 2-3.

Peamount reacted instantly with a nice move from Aine O’Gorman who picked out Stephanie Roche on the right side of the area but she skewed her effort wide.

Peamount reasserted their grip on the match in the spell that followed and, on 58 minutes, Grace Murray floated a high free-kick from 40 yards out and, despite getting her hands to it, Castlebar goalkeeper Ashling Concannon was unable to stop the ball going in.

Jetta Morrell made it 5-2 four minutes later, gaining the ball inside her own half and advancing unchallenged to shoot on target, low to the keeper’s left from 40 yards out.

Although Aine O’Gorman struck another goal for the Peas in the 70th minute, Shauna Jackson restored some pride for the home side five minutes from the final whistle.

She got on the end of a high effort, which had been parried away from goal by Peamount keeper Monica McGuirk, to end the match 6-3 to Peamount United.