Shamrock Rovers are through to the Setanta Cup final after Bill Dennehy netted a late away goal winner against Cork City in a match which ended 2-2 on the night and 3-3 on aggregate.

2,007 people saw former Cork winger Dennehy score a superlative 93rd minute free-kick to break Cork hearts once more.

The home side had conceded a 94th minute equaliser against Shelbourne in their previous game last Friday.

City had taken the lead when Daryl Horgan opened the scoring after 47 minutes at the end of the first half. His well-struck first time shot was knocked onto the post by Barry Murphy but spun back into the net.

Parity was restored Stephen Rice's long range effort after a corner was deflected past home 'keeper Mark McNulty after 72 minutes.

Former Rovers forward Daryl Kavanagh thought he had put the Leesiders through to the final when he scored after 88 minutes.

An Ian Turner corner was flicked on by Gearóid Morrissey and Kavanagh gleefully powered it past Barry Murphy. But it was Dennehy who had the last laugh for the Dubliners.

With Cork ahead on away goals after a 1-1 draw last week in Tallaght both sides started nervously, although Rovers did register a flurry of early shots.

Rovers left-back Conor Powell departed injured after only 17 minutes and Danny Ledwith came on. He struggled against the pace of Cork midfielder Ian Turner, who consistently troubled him.

City failed to create many really clear-cut chances but were the better side and the dynamism of Kavanagh consistently troubled the Rovers rearguard.

The second half saw the two managers make their mark on the game. First Rovers manager Trevor Crolly changed things up 11 minutes into the half when he took off forward Thomas Stewart and put on tough tackling centre-mid James Chambers.

The home side continued to threaten but Rovers began to dominate possession.

Soon after the Rice equaliser, Tommy Dunne introduced Garry Buckley for Danny Furlong, who dropped into midfield to even up the numbers.

City upped their tempo and created a number of chances before Kavanagh scored with only two minutes to go.

However, the recently appointed Rovers manager had the last laugh when he saw his side knock in the free-kick with the last kick of the game in what was City's sixth late concession this season.

Rovers will play Drogheda United in the final after they saw off Sligo Rovers.

Cork City: Mark McNulty, Ian Turner, Danny Murphy, Darren Dennehy, Gearóid Morrissey, Shane Duggan, Daryl Kavanagh, Dan Murray, Danny Furlong (Garry Buckley 75'), Neal Horgan (C), Daryl Horgan.

Subs: Denis Behan, Adam Rundle, Danny Morrissey, Kalen Spillane, Stephen Kenny, Kevin Burns.

Shamrock Rovers: Barry Murphy, Pat Sullivan (C), Conor Powell (Danny Ledwith 17'), Derek Foran, David Elebert (Ciaran Kilduff 90'), Stephen Rice, Ronan Finn, Karl Sheppard, Thomas Stewart, (James Chambers 56'), Bill Dennehy, Gary McCabe.

Subs: Richard Brush, Shane Robinson, Sean O'Connor, Conor McCormack.

Referee P Sutton