A season that has been interrupted by injury has ended in FAI Cup glory for Derry City striker Rory Patterson.

The Strabane native struck twice in his side's 3-2 victory over St Patrick's Athletic, including the winning goal in extra-time.

"It is nice to get the winner in the cup final," said the 28-year-old.

"It gets us into Europe now so we're all delighted, he said."

"You just keep plugging away and play your football. Pat's played their football. It was just who got the lucky break.

"Obviously the lad has tried to head it back to the keeper and I've read it. I got a good touch past the keeper and it was an easy enough finish."

The first half was notable for its lack of action but Patterson, who came on for Patrick McEleney on the hour mark, said nerves were to partly blame for a lack of entertainment.

He said: "It was cup final football. You need both teams to work each other out. We have a lot of young lads in the team as well and nerves probably did play a part. It was just whoever dealt with them better.

"Once they got the opening goal it opened the game up and it turned into a great cup final."

Patterson had put Derry ahead from the penalty spot ahead moments after coming on following a mistake from St Pat's goalkeeper Brendan Clarke.

He is used to the pressure and responsibility that comes with taking penalties and he was not about to give the chance up even though he was just on the field.

"I'm the penalty taker in the team so when we won it all the lads looked at me and I knew I was going to take it. We've have had a few penalties before and the lads have tried to take them off me.

"I've worked tirelessly over the last few months, sometimes training three times a day just to get myself fit. I've been doing everything I can to get fit for the run-in of games.

"Obviously I got the game against [Shamrock] Rovers in, missed the last game against Pat's with suspension, which was a stupid booking on my part.

"It's been a nice end now to get on and score the winner."