Derry City cruised into the FAI Ford Cup semi-final following an empathic 7-1 victory over a disappointing Mervue United.

The Brandywell faithful had double celebrations as hat-trick hero Mark Farren scored his 113th goal for the club, beating Liam Coyle's all-time goalscoring record.

A David McDaid brace and strikes from Patrick McEleney and Ryan Curran sealed a miserable evening in Derry for a Mervue side which could only muster a single goal via Patrick Hoban.

Derry opened the scoring after 12 minutes thanks a sublime corner from Barry McNamee's, as the youngster's teasing cross into the six-yard-box was headed home by David McDaid past a hapless Conor Gleeson.

Minutes later Declan Devine's side should have doubled their lead when Farren's flick-on found an unmarked Stephen McLaughlin inside the box, but the winger's effort smacked the post.

Derry continued to push forward and had another super chance to add a second when Simon Madden's run and cross from the right found McLaughlin, but he couldn't keep his shot down from 12 yards.

Ten minutes before the break, Derry added a second when Farren made no mistake from close range, after he created himself some space inside the Mervue box.

Soon after, City added a third in tremendous fashion when McEleney's quick thinking saw his chip from just inside the Mervue half catch out a flat-footed Gleeson.

The visitors pulled a goal back on 52 minutes when Hoban's well-hit drive from 30 yards flew past City shot-stopper Gerard Doherty.

Derry restored their three-goal advantage soon after when McDaid netted his second of the game, after Barry McNamee's teasing through ball had created the chance.

Just after the hour mark, Farren completed his hat-trick, netting twice in the space of a minute, to secure his place in the record books.

The goalscoring was completed on 75 minutes when substitute Curran side-footed home after McDaid had created the clear-cut chance.

Derry City: Doherty, Madden, S McEleney, McBride, McCaffrey; P McEleney, Molloy, McNamee, McLaughlin; McDaid, Farren. Subs: Brolly & Curran for P McEleney & McLaughlin (64); Deery for Farren (77).

Mervue United: Gleeson, McSweeney, McBrien, Elwood, Walsh, Keogh, King, Varley, Molloy, Biansumba, Hoban. Subs: Conneely for Elwood (64).

Referee: Mr Tomas Connolly (Dublin).