Shelbourne are through to the third round of the FAI Cup after the saw off Bray Wanderers 1-0 at Tolka Park tonight.

Philly Gorman strike in added-time in the first half was enough for the home side in a poor encounter.

Dane Massey almost forced extra-time as his header struck a post in the final minutes and Shels hung on to advance.

Ian Ryan came into the Shels side ahead of Gareth Matthews who didn't make the match-day squad.

Kieran Marty Waters had the first chance when his weak shot from the edge of the area was easily stopped by goalkeeper Dean Delany.

Waters threatened again in the 13th minute as his 25-yard shot went just wide of the post with Delany at full stretch.

John Mulroy could have given Bray the lead in the 20th minute as Andy Boyle's error meant the striker was first to the ball ahead of Delany outside of his penalty area. The Shels stopper recovered to knock the ball out of play for a corner and the home team survived.

The Reds finally had an effort on goal when Philly Hughes teed up Paddy Kavanagh who struck the ball just past the post from the edge of the area.

Glenn Cronin and Philly Gorman were booked as a poor first half looked set to end in stalemate.

However, the Reds knicked an undeserved lead just in stoppage time as they punished poor Bray defending.

Paddy Kavanagh's cross was not dealt with by Pierce Sweeney and Philly Gorman poked the ball last Darren Quigley.

Bray appealed for a penalty in the early stages of second period as a combination of two Shels players tried to clear the ball and John Mulroy went down. Neil Doyle ruled there had been no foul despite the protestations.

The game was filled with more endeavour and aggression than quality with the home side looking in good stead despite the openness in play and their own average performance.

David Cassidy attempted to chip Darren Quigley from 40 yards with little trouble for the Bray 'keeper and he had to be on his toes again in the 62nd minute to prevent Hughes turning and shooting from the edge if the six-yard box.

Bray were desperate to force an equaliser as a clear chance at goal eluded them.

They were presented with another opening as Waters beat Shortall in the challenge and he had time and space to cross but could not pick out Bynre in the box.

Hughes' clever ball over the top gave Kevin Dawson the chance to run at the Bray defence and he pulled it back for Gorman to backheel the ball across the box as Bray emerged with possession.

Wanderers went closest to equalising when Adam Hanlon's corner was headed into the post by Dane Massey and away.

Paddy Kavanagh almost sealed the win with a well-struck shot from 20 yards after Anto Murphy's lay-off but Quigley acrobatically pushed the ball away.

Time ran out for Bray despite more pressure in added-time as Shels progressed to the next round.

Shelbourne: Dean Delany, Ian Ryan, Andy Boyle, Brian Shorthall, Barry Clancy, Kevin Dawson, Glenn Cronin, David Cassidy, Paddy Kavanagh, Philly Gorman, Philly Hughes (Anto Murphy 84).

Bray Wanderers: Darren Quigley, Dave Webster, Danny O'Connor, Pierce Sweeney, Kevin Knight (Jonathan Kelty 84), Adam Hanlon, Dean Zambra (Anthony Bolger 88), Sean Houston (Dane Massey 66), Kieran Marty Waters, John Mulroy, Jason Byrne.