Derry City's chances of challenging for the league continue to slip away following this scoreless result at the Brandywell against Bohemians.

Team boss Pat Fenlon will opt to take the positives from this encounter. Indeed his side certainly produced a much improved performance.

In fact, the 'Candy Stripes' went agonisingly close to breaking the deadlock during the first minute of the game.

Ruaidhri Higgins delivered a free into the danger area but while Darren Kelly met the ball at the back post, his header crashed off the woodwork.

Bohemians cause certainly wasn’t helped when Sean Connor was forced to use two substitutes by the time 37 minutes had elapsed
Harpal Singh departed after 20 minutes with a shoulder injury while central defender, Dean Pooley, was stretchered off with what appeared an ankle injury in the 37th minute.

Derry again went close in the 48th minute. A McGlynn cross from the right fell into the path of Killian Brennan but his angled shot was blocked on the line by Jason McGuinness before rebounding into Brian Murphy’s hands.

The introduction of Kevin McHugh appeared to spark life in Derry in the 70th minute and two chances fell to the striker within as many minutes.

With his first touch he lobbed he ball over the bar following another McGlynn cross and one minute later the same player directed an effort straight at Murphy when he should have done better.

But Derry keeper Pat Jennings clearly kept his side in the game in the 82nd minute when he pulled off a spectacular stop, diverting Neale Fenn’s shot on the turn over his crossbar.

In the 90th minute Bohemians were reduced to ten men when striker Darren Mansaram was shown a straight red card following a two-footed lunge on Brennan and referee Dave McKeon showed no hesitation in pointing the player to the dressing room.

Derry City – Jennings; Hutton, Oman, Kelly, Rogers; McGlynn, Higgins, Molloy (McCafferty 86 mins), Brennan (Hynes 90 mins); McCourt, Farren (McHugh 70 mins).

Bohemians – Murphy; Heary, McGuinnes, Pooley (Burns 37 mins), Powell; Kingsberry, Rice, Hunt (Kelly 68 mins), Singh (Fenn 30 mins); Crowe, Mansaram.

Referee – Mr. Dave McKeon (Dublin).