Drogheda United upset the odds to claim their first ever trophy at senior level with a deserved 2-0 victory over double-chasing Cork City in the FAI Carlsberg Cup final at Lansdowne Road today.

Second half goals from Man of the Match Gavin Whelan and captain Declan O'Brien ensured the Boynesiders made it third time lucky to deny eircom League Premier Division champions a memorable double.

Having started slowly, Paul Doolin's men got to grips with City's industrious midfield and had the better of the second half to emerge worthy winners.

Billy Woods found plenty of room on the right in the opening period, most notably when his cross saw John O'Flynn strike a post on 17 minutes.

Neither 'keeper were seriously tested for the remainder of a tight first half, but United's decision to take the game to City reaped dividends on the restart when they took the lead on 52 minutes.

The lively Shane Robinson crossed from the right and midfielder Whelan reacted first to a knockdown from O'Brien to hammer the ball past Devine from six yards to give Drogheda the lead.

City pushed forward in search of an equaliser without much joy as Steven Gray and Graham Gartland stood firm, and they got a deserved second when O'Brien took advantage of some slack defending in the Cork rearguard to lob Devine from 18 yards following a kickout from Dan Connor.

Both sides continued to press forward without making a breakthrough, in what was an entertaining game despite the blustery conditions in Dublin 4.                                       

Captain Declan O'Brien had the honour of lifting the club's first ever silverware at senior level to the delight of the large Drogheda following in the 24,521 crowd.

Drogheda United: Dan Connor, Damien Lynch, Simon Webb, Gavin Whelan, Steven Gray, Graham Gartland, Shane Robinson, Stephen Bradley, Declan O'Brien, Sami Ristila, Jermaine Sandvliet.
Subs: Paul Keegan for Bradley, Mark Rooney for Ristila, Paul Bernard for O'Brien.

Cork City: Michael Devine, Neal Horgan, Greg O'Halloran, Alan Bennett, Dan Murray, Billy Woods, Joe Gamble, George O'Callaghan, John O'Flynn, Liam Kearney, Neale Fenn.
Subs: Dennis Behan for Fenn, Colin O'Brien for O'Halloran.

Referee: Ian Stokes