Newcastle United have handed Lee Bowyer a massive six-week wage fine following his on-pitch brawl with team-mate Kieron Dyer on Saturday.
The 28-year-old former Leeds player was forced to shoulder the majority of the blame by Newcastle for the the incident, and was also severely censured by the club and warned as to his future conduct.
However, manager Graeme Souness confirmed the two midfielders most definitely have a future at the club, and that the club will appeal against Dyer's sending off.
When asked whether the club will appeal, Souness told Sky Sports: "We have on behalf of Kieron. I can tell you that they've been speaking to each other over the weekend, they've had a laugh about it. Both regret what happened and it's something we want to put behind us."
A statement from the club read: "Lee Bowyer has been handed an unprecedented fine, severely censured and additionally warned as to his future conduct by Newcastle United, following his attack on team-mate Kieron Dyer during Saturday's home match with Aston Villa.
"The attack led to both players being dismissed from the field of play by the referee.
"The decision to fine and censure Bowyer was taken after chairman Freddy Shepherd and team manager Graeme Souness interviewed both players at the club's training ground this morning. The fine, amounting to six weeks' wages, is the highest fine handed out by the club.
"In Kieron Dyer's case, in accordance with the disciplinary regulations of the Football Association the club has, on the player's behalf, submitted notice of the player's intention to submit a claim of wrongful dismissal from the field of play," the statement continued.
"This claim will be submitted by noon tomorrow (Tuesday) together with video evidence. Both players have had a fair hearing and the club is fully in support of Kieron Dyer's claim to the Football Association."
Meanwhile, it was announced today that police are to investigate the brawl between Bowyer and Dyer.
No official complaint had been made but officers have received concerns from members of the public.
A senior officer from Newcastle area command has been assigned to investigate the circumstances of this incident.
"The football club is co-operating fully with our inquiries, which are
expected to take some time," said a Police spokesman.