Ipswich midfielder Matt Holland says his family is his priority as he thinks over a move to Aston Villa. First Division Ipswich last week accepted a bid in the region of £4million for the player but Republic of Ireland international Holland rejected Villa's initial approach.
The 28-year-old has not completed ruled out the possibility of a return to the Barclaycard Premiership with Graham Taylor's side. Speaking in a British newspaper he said: "My agent talked me through the offer and we decided I had to reject it," he wrote in the Independent on Sunday. "That does not mean a move will not happen, but is part of the process of both sides trying to find a package acceptable to each. Now, my family is hugely important in my decision-making process and I need them to be happy and settled to go out on the pitch and do my best."
He continued: "Graham Taylor phoned me on Thursday night and spoke to me for roughly 45 minutes about the club, my football and ambition and his football and ambition, and he told me that he really wanted me to understand the factors that I had to consider. It was a fantastic chat that impressed me hugely. Now I must decide what to do."
Villa made their offer for Holland whilst the player was away on international duty in Finland last week. Ipswich are reluctant to sell but chairman David Sheepshanks blamed the downturn in football's economy for their decision to accept the offer.
Filed by Sinéad Gleeson