Shelbourne are back on top of the eircom League Premier Division following a 2-1 win over Dundalk this afternoon.

Dundalk 1-2 Shelbourne

Two goals from teenager Wesley Houlihan were enough to send Shelbourne back to the top of the eircom League Premier Division at Oriel Park this afternoon. Houlihan, who only started after top scorer Stephen Geoghan fell ill this morning, scored twice inside a ten-minute period midway through the second half. His first came after 57 minutes when he capitalised on great work down the right by his strike partner Martin Gittins, and smashed the English man's cross into the roof of the net from close range.

For his second in the 67th minute, Houlihan probed the ball over the line after a blunder from the Dundalk keeper who let the ball run across the face of the goal after a back pass from Donal Broughan. Dundalk got a consolation goal in the 80th minute when Broughan scored a penalty after substitute Cormac Malone was brought down by Kevin Doherty, who earned a straight red card. However the 10-man Shelbourne team held on to for a win that puts them two points clear of Shamrock Rovers.

Bray Wanderers 0-2 Cork City

Cork City keep their slim Europe hopes alive with three points gained from a victory over Bray at the Carlisle Grounds this afternoon. Man of the match Ollie Cahill put the visitors ahead after 17 minutes but it was almost all Bray after that before Cork grabbed their vital second goal through Pat Morley with 30 minutes remaining.

Monaghan United 1-2 Galway United

Monaghan increased their chances of relegation from the Premier Division following their 1-2 defeat at home by Galway United this afternoon. Monaghan started the better side with a goal in the sixth minute from Stephen Murphy. Galway took their time to settle but got the equalising goal on the 40th minute from Alan Murphy. Murphy struck again in the third minute of injury time in the first half as he calmly slipped the ball past keeper Gareth Downey.

Filed by Sinead Kissane