Robbie Keane scored the day's fastest goal, but Leeds United's disastrous run of form in the Premiership continued, as Newcastle United recovered to emerge 3-1 victors at Elland Road today. Shay Given returned in goal for the Magpies and a series of crucial saves from the Lifford 'keeper provided the platform for United's unlikely win.

An outstanding save from a blistering Lee Bowyer effort, and a point blank block from an Eirik Bakke header kept Newcastle in front, following Nolberto Solano's fourth minute penalty equaliser and Clarence Acuna's strike before the break. Teenager Shola Ameobi made it 3-1 when he was set up by Solano four minutes from time.

Leicester had to face third-placed Arsenal with 10 men for 49 minutes after Matthew Jones was sent off for a second caution in the first half. Thierry Henry failed to score for the fifth successive game when he hit the bar and Sylvain Wiltord struck a post as the game finished 0-0, leaving Arsene Wenger's team 15 points behind leaders Manchester United. Second-placed Sunderland will bid to reduce United's lead to 11 points tomorrow when they tackle bottom club Bradford at The Stadium of Light.

Middlesbrough are now unbeaten in eight games following a 0-0 draw with Liverpool at Anfield. The Reds had all the possession but 'Boro came to defend and eventually the home side ran out of ideas. Marcus Stewart, the Premiership's leading scorer, hit the target for the fifth successive game at Stamford Bridge, but Chelsea came back strongly to win 4- 1 after Gus Poyet levelled with a close-range volley on the stroke of half time. Dennis Wise scored with a diving header and Poyet had a second goal set up by Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's speedy break. The Dutch striker then scored from the spot from a disputed penalty which led to Town's John McGreal getting a red card for abusive language.

Everton, having failed to score in five of their previous seven games, went three in front in the first half hour at Coventry who are now only one place off the bottom. Danny Cadamarteri made the first goal for Scot Gemmill, scored the second and had a hand in the third as Kevin Campbell made it 3-1. A penalty converted by Irish midfielder Lee Carsley four minutes from time was little consolation to City boss Gordon Strachan.

Manchester City moved above Coventry courtesy of a 1-1 draw with fellow strugglers Derby at Pride Park. Joe Royle's side dominated the first period without hitting the target and the Rams went in front through Darryl Powell four minutes into the second period. But City equalised within two minutes when central defender Steve Howey met Danny Tiatto's cross with a powerful header to earn a share of the spoils.

In today's other top flight clash, Tottenham's unbeaten home record stays intact after a 0-0 draw with Southampton - managed by former Spurs favourite Glenn Hoddle.

Filed by Shane Murray