Ronnie O'Sullivan produced a remarkable comeback to "get out of jail" with a 10-9 win over Barry Hawkins and reach the Cazoo Tour Championship final.

O’Sullivan looked set to suffer only a third ever defeat to his experienced rival but twice fought back from a three-frame deficit to force a decider and clinched victory at Celtic Manor.

It sets up a repeat of the final from two years ago when O’Sullivan beat Neil Robertson to win the inaugural edition of the tournament, with the Australian getting the better of Mark Selby on Friday in emphatic fashion.

World number two O’Sullivan told ITV Sport: "I feel for Barry because he has been grafting at his game, I know he has been working hard this year.

"He has been unlucky in a few results and deserved that victory just for his efforts all season and it is a horrible way to lose, but hopefully he can respond because he played great, he looked confident and outplayed me, really. I got out of jail."

Hawkins got off to a sensational start in Newport with breaks of 125 and 138 putting him in early control.

A misjudgement on the pink by O’Sullivan in the third saw him concede another frame and trail 3-0 before he slowly got into his groove.

Two half-century breaks ensured he reduced the deficit and then scores of 63 and 61 got him back on level terms.

O’Sullivan missed out on a century in the fourth but took the frame before Hawkins responded to ensure it was all square going into the interval.

After the experienced duo traded blows at the start of the evening session, Hawkins moved 7-5 up with his third hundred of the match.

While his opponent was able to reduce the deficit, it did not deter Hawkins, who continued to be consistent to move within one frame of the final.

The 16th frame proved the turning point when the world number 13 missed a red when 47-0 up.

O’Sullivan produced a ruthless response with a 71 break and a rapid 90 in the next frame before he forced a decider with another half-century.

With momentum firmly on his side, the longest frame of the match timed at close to half-an-hour eventually went the way of O’Sullivan as he set up a final meeting with Robertson on Sunday.

Defeat was tough to take for Hawkins, who admitted: "I thought I was going to win as well. I missed that one red and the clearance he has made was ridiculous.

"He made it look so easy and to be honest my head started spinning a little bit. I missed a couple but I didn’t completely crumble. It was just another one that got away and I am pretty devastated at the moment.

"But I am not going to beat myself up. I played well the whole match and I am just a bit numb really."