Ronnie O'Sullivan swept into the last eight of the World Snooker Championships after beating Ding Junhui in a quality session which saw breaks of 50-plus in each of the evening’s seven frames.

Resuming at 8-8, O’Sullivan made the first mistake when he missed a simple black, but seized a second chance to take the frame with a break of 87.

A short yellow from Ding allowed O’Sullivan to extend his lead to two frames with a 73, before Ding pounced on another missed black by O’Sullivan to reduce the deficit with a break of 88.

O’Sullivan nudged 11-9 in front with a break of 60, and after Ding cleared to brown in the next with a break of 81, O’Sullivan struck a superb 117 to move within a frame of victory.

O’Sullivan narrowly missed back-to-back centuries but a 93 break in the next sealed up a 13-10 win and with it a last-eight clash with Mark Williams.

Kyren Wilson will meet Judd Trump in the quarter-finals

Earlier, Kyren Wilson withstood a strong comeback from Martin Gould to win 13-9 and book his place in the quarter-finals for the fifth time. 

The 28-year-old, who was handed a first-round bye following the withdrawal of Anthony Hamilton, had resumed with an 11-5 lead and requiring two more frames to progress. 

But Gould reeled off the first three frames of the morning and should have had a fourth until a calamitous error left Wilson with a free ball and the chance to clear from two snookers down to move within one frame of victory. 

Gould reduced the deficit again with a break of 73 and was in first in the next but gave Wilson a chance which he exploited to finally book a last-eight clash against Judd Trump. 

Reflecting on his delayed entry to the tournament, Wilson admitted: "100% I would rather have played - I was worried whether I would have the match sharpness and I was also the last to experience the different atmosphere. 

"But it's obvious the longevity of the tournament can take it out on a lot of players. I had a week off that other players won't have had, and I'll be playing every day. I prefer that because I feel like I build and get stronger once my timing is there." 

Neil Robertson pulled away from Barry Hawkins to keep alive his hopes of winning a second world crown.

The Australian, who will play Mark Selby in the quarter-finals, resumed at 8-8 and pounced on some uncharacteristic errors from Hawkins to take the first three frames of the session.

Hawkins reduced the deficit with a superb break of 104, but Robertson restored his lead with a 79 despite the black being out of service, then seized a second chance in the next frame to complete a 13-9 win.

The quarter-final line-up was completed after midnight, when Anthony McGill won the final two frames of a scrappy affair against Jamie Clarke to claim a 13-12 victory.

The pair, who were involved in a furious exchange on Saturday when McGill accused the Welshman of deliberately standing in his line of sight, had exchanged frames to reach 10-10.

McGill then edged ahead for the first time in the match but Clarke moved to the brink of victory after winning the next two frames.

In the next frame Clarke missed a pink on a break of 55 which would have effectively won him the match, allowing McGill to fight back and force a decider.

After both players missed good chances, McGill gained the upper-hand via a tight snooker behind the brown and went on to seal a last eight clash with another qualifier, Kurt Maflin.

The Scot doesn't have long to wait for the start of his last-eight clash as he is due back on the baize at 2:30 this afternoon.