Further pilot sport events with spectators in attendance in the UK will now not take place in the first two weeks of August, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.
A two-day county cricket friendly between Surrey and Middlesex took place with spectators in attendance earlier this week, but it appears that for the time being that will be as far as it goes in a tightening of restrictions to limit the spread of coronavirus.
Spectators were already at Sheffield's Crucible Theatre for day one of the World Snooker Championship when the announcement regarding crowds was made.
World Snooker said it would issue an update shortly.
Some 5,000 racegoers had been due to attend the Glorious Goodwood Festival on Saturday.
"Pilots of crowds at sports events will now not take place," the Prime Minister said.
It is understood Premier League clubs had been hoping to admit supporters at pre-season friendlies next month on a socially-distanced basis.
It comes after it was announced that people from different households in Greater Manchester, parts of east Lancashire and West Yorkshire would be banned from meeting each other inside their homes or in gardens following a spike in virus cases.
Two matches in cricket's Bob Willis Trophy starting on Saturday had been due to welcome spectators this weekend - Surrey v Middlesex at the Oval and Warwickshire v Northamptonshire at Edgbaston.
The England and Wales Cricket Board said in a statement: "We understand this is disappointing for supporters who have waited a long time to see their clubs in action and were looking forward to attending pilot events at the Kia Oval and Edgbaston this weekend.
"However, we understand the reasons the Government has made this decision, and remain ready to work with them to ensure supporters can safely return to stadiums when Government advice allows.
"We are pleased the Bob Willis Trophy will still begin this weekend behind closed doors, and fans will be able to watch their teams in action through the online streams being provided."
Oliver Dowden, the Secretary of State for the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, tweeted about the developments.
"Very disappointing news that with rise in infection rates we cannot press ahead with sports pilots with fans this weekend I know the huge efforts cricket, snooker & horse racing have made to welcome fans back," he wrote.
"We'll keep working together on their safe return asap."