Mark Selby defeated Shaun Murphy 10-6 in the UK Championship final in York in a match that finished just after midnight.

It was an appropriate way to mark his return to the world number one ranking, and Selby was warmly embraced by Murphy after wrapping up his win.

Selby, 29, had a 14-month spell as snooker's top-ranked player in which he failed to win a major trophy, and consequently he relinquished top spot to Judd Trump last month.

But Trump's first spell as number one was brief, ending when Selby reached the final at York's Barbican Centre.

And there could be no better way for Selby to begin his second stint as the sport's leading player than with some long-awaited silverware. 

He and Murphy looked to be perfectly matched as they shared the opening 12 frames.

But just as a very late finish, well into the early hours of the morning, began to loom, Selby seized control and reeled off four straight frames after the interval to take the trophy and a £125,000 winner's cheque.

While Selby has won the Masters title twice, the UK Championship and World Championship titles had proved elusive. Now he has the first of those, the second will be his target in the second half of the season.

From 4-4 at the end of the afternoon action, they progressed to 6-6 by the evening mid-session interval, and in the best-of-19 contest that meant there were a possible seven frames still to play.

Selby needed only four.

It was no surprise the final was closely fought until its closing stages, with both men having needed to rely on battling tendencies to last the distance over the nine-day tournament.

Selby came from 4-0 behind to beat Neil Robertson 6-4 in the quarter-finals, while Murphy produced the tournament's finest fightback to stun Ali Carter in their semi-final, recovering from 8-4 adrift to win 9-8.

Selby had breaks of 54, 66, 70, 58, 51 and 98 in his success, while Murphy had 83, 98 and 65.

This was the first all-English final at the UK Championship since Jimmy White beat John Parrott in 1992. In those days the final was a best-of-31 match.

There was plenty riding on this final, with Murphy seeking his first ranking title for over 18 months and Selby bidding to lift his maiden UK Championship.

Selby now has a third ranking title to his name, still a meagre tally considering his great ability.

Murphy remains on four rankings titles.

Selby's charge began after the mid-session interval, and as Murphy's game began to deteriorate he took full advantage.

Murphy had the chance to pinch the 16th frame but could not hold his game together under intense pressure and Selby made certain of the title by clipping in the blue.