skip to main content

Irish Masters rises from the ashes

Only a month ago Irish snooker looked set to be tossed on the international scrap heap, embarrassingly, without a prestigious event to its name for the first time in nearly 25 years. But at the last hour it has received a welcome lifeline from the Government and private sponsorship, with the official launch of a three-year partnership deal to sponsor the Irish Masters Snooker Championship. The new arrangement means the Masters has been moved from its traditional home in Goffs, Co. Kildare and will now take place at the Citywest Hotel, Saggart, Co. Dublin from Tuesday March 27th to Sunday April 1st.

The future of the tournament had hung in the balance after the cigarette company Benson and Hedges, who sponsored the event for 23 years, announced last year they were withdrawing their sponsorship because of Department of Health regulations. Even up until December Kevin Norton, the tournament director, was not sure that the event would survive.

However the Citywest Hotel and the Irish Department of Health and Children have now come on board as the new joint sponsors of the tournament, which carries a total prize fund of £195,000 with the winner receiving £75,000.

Ken Doherty, Masters winner in 1998 and world champion in 1997, said saving the tournament was great news for professional snooker in Ireland, adding he was delighted at the prospect of playing in front of a home crowd in the 2000-seat Citywest venue, which is nearly double the capacity of Goffs.

"The Irish Master's has always been popular and we're going to miss Goffs but this venue is even bigger," said Doherty. "The Irish crowd is very supportive so it's great to have saved the event. They've supported it well for the last twenty odd years and will do so again.

"The players also hold it in high esteem. They want to support it as well as I'm sure the Irish public want to, and support not only us Irish players but all of the competitors."

Doherty's mood was buoyed by his second Regal Welsh Open victory last weekend, taking home the first prize of £62,000 sterling. It was the Dubliner's first title since the Malta grand prix last March. "I was delighted to win after so long and now I hope I can get a run going and gain some consistency, which will set me up nicely for the World Championship in April. Of course, there's still a long way to go until then but winning in Wales was a massive boost."

The Minister for Health and Children, Micheál Martin, attended the launch and said that although Department regulations prohibited cigarette sponsorship, the Government did not want to undermine such sporting events as the Masters. "The tournament is one of the most popular events in the country and should not be lost. Also, this is a unique move for the Department of Health in terms of health promotion to reduce smoking in this country."

Reigning Irish Masters champion, John Higgins, who was also the first player to have a 147 break at the Masters, said he was relishing thought of his return to the event. "One of my most satisfying wins ever was winning the Masters. I look forward to defending it, but also I look forward to everything that goes with the tournament. It's just special for the players, it always has been."

Two of snooker's veteran guard, Steve Davis and Jimmy White, will be cueing up among the twelve entrants to the invitational event. White is no stranger to these shores having competed in 18 Irish Masters, winning it twice, in 1985 and 1986. "It'll be just as competitive as when it was out at Goffs," said White.

The Whirlwind has built a strong affinity with the event and has had just as much fun off the green baize as he had on it. "It's a very special tournament here and it's one of the tournaments that you love and you don't rush home afterwards. I'm thrilled it's staying. "

Being an eight-time winner of the Masters, Steve Davis has more reason than most to like the tournament, even more so with his slump in form in recent years. "My last win was the Irish Masters and with my record here I've obviously had great times," said Davis.

"And even though this is a non-ranking tournament - with its track record over the years - I don't think it should be taken lightly. Over the years it has become a good yardstick to see who's the very best in the world."

Indeed with Dubliner Fergal O'Brien likely to figure along with Ken Doherty among the entries, Irish expectations will be high for a home victory. Yet whoever walks off with the title on April 1st , only a fool could fail to see that all those taking part hold the Masters in high regard and affection, which is not only a great fillet for Irish snooker, but also merits the organisers resolve to keep the tournament on the snooker map.

Sean Folan

Read Next