Andy Farrell lashed out at the "keyboard warriors" who have targeted Sam Prendergast and Jack Crowley ahead of another week in which the Irish out-half debate is certain to heat up.
Ireland take on England in Twickenham in round three of the Guinness Six Nations on Saturday (2.10pm, live on RTÉ) after a concerning loss to France and a less than convincing win over Italy.
Leinster's 23-year-old out-half Prendergast has started the last four internationals as Ireland beat Australia and Italy, and lost to South Africa and France, while Munster's Crowley, 26, has come off the bench in those games, sometimes deployed at full-back.
Prendergast had a day to forget against the Azzurri, with poor option-taking, errant kicking from hand and the tee combined with four missed tackles.
Crowley's introduction in the 56th minute was met with a huge cheer from the Aviva Stadium crowd and he was central to Rob Baloucoune's crucial try.
The Cork man had seven touches in the move and helped out at a breakdown with Farrell describing it as "as good a try as we've ever scored".
He later hailed the "flow, the continuity, the speed of it, the want, to call the play that we wanted to happen rather than just settle for something that was conservative, or setting stuff up and being able to play to space early and Jack was at the forefront of that."
On Saturday's evidence, Farrell's headache won't come from deciding which out-half is the better choice to start in London and keep their title hopes alive, but how the fallout from whatever call he makes affects the player, both of whom came under fire earlier in the season after mixed displays.
The Englishman has previously spoken passionately about the online abuse his own son, England out-half Owen, and family, suffered back in 2023 after he'd been sent off against Wales.
Asked about how Saturday's game will influence his decision, an emotional Farrell said: "Do you know what, I might be talking out of school here, but in my opinion for what's gone on over the last year or something, especially with the keyboard warriors, I think people need to ask themselves, really, sometimes, 'Are we Irish? Do we want people to do well or not?’
"Because it can be tough for these kids like, you know? I’ve seen it, to-ing and fro-ing with both of them, and both of them are strong characters.
"It takes a lot to break kids like that. But I’ve seen it affect people. So the keyboard warriors on Twitter, or whatever you call it now, need to cop on and try and help these kids."
Farrell, who said he had no regrets about exposing Prendergast to the international scene at such an early stage of his senior career, added: "I understand [the out-half debate is a divisive issue].
"No, it’s the keyboard warriors. It’s damaging, you know? And the more we report on the keyboard warriors, we’re giving them, everyone grows a leg, and then it’s ‘let’s do a bit more of it, like’."
Asked about the crowd reaction when Crowley replaced Prendergast, Farrell bristled at the suggestion that it was negative towards the younger man, who won his 15th cap.
"No, I don’t believe that. No. You’re making that up. 100%. I heard the cheer for Jack. That’s for Jack," he said.
"Jack’s a good lad, you know. He’s a good player. And Munster supporters and Irish supporters are allowed to cheer that. We don’t need to make it out to be something that it’s not.
"They're young lads and good lads as well and we need to back them.
Crowley also kicked a conversion and a penalty but missed a simple late touch kick that cost Ireland the chance to secure a bonus point.
Pressed on how the Italy game would influence his call, he said: "We'll see, we'll see, but Jack did pretty well, didn't he?
"He's gutted about the kick into the corner obviously. He did a lot more good for us than harm and he can be proud of his performance.
"[Sam would] be frustrated with bits. These things will stand to them as in, that's the journey, that's the career.
"Down the line, these two lads, and others, they will be the players that they want to be. Everyone goes through these types of scenarios."
Speaking on RTÉ Sport's Six Nations coverage on Sunday, former Ireland international forward Jamie Heaslip reckoned Crowley would get the nod for next weekend.
"I think the decision is probably made. I think it's Jack," he said of Crowley, who won his 32nd cap.
"They've given Sam, effectively, 12 months in the seat and he's a very talented player, there's no doubt about that, but I think it's fair to say he's not in form right now. There's a huge amount of pressure on this guy.
"He's a young guy. There's a lot of commentary around him, and I hope most of it isn't getting through to him, because some of it's not particularly nice. And you have to think about getting confidence back into him.
"Maybe just taking him out of that pressure scenario for a game or two games or three games. When you're in camp, the coaches don't have a lot of time with him, but what they can do is maybe try and get some confidence back into him.
"Maybe that is him just putting him on the bench or maybe, depending on that 6:2 split, there's a lot of implications, but you can see a world where he's not even on the bench."

Former Leinster and Ireland hooker Bernard Jackman urged people to think of the bigger picture.
"We have to get out of the mindset of being out of the team or being dropped is fatal," he said.
"So Tadhg Beirne obviously lost his place on the bench; James Lowe was out of the squad completely, gets back in.
"I think Jack should start. It doesn't mean it's the end of Sam. It's not about that. It's about being ready for Test rugby and becoming better. We've become so focussed on that 10 spot and it probably hasn't helped any of the 10s get into form.
"Certainly, his impact off the bench on Saturday, Jack looked ready, energetic, physical. I think he now has a bit of momentum to start this week."