Ireland took another step towards the Grand Slam with an incredibly hard-fought and costly victory over Scotland.

A 15-point win at Murrayfield sets up a mouthwatering St Patrick's weekend clash against England in Dublin on Saturday.

Victory over an English outfit, humiliated by France in Twickenham on Saturday, would earn Ireland just a fourth ever Grand Slam and with that the title also.

All of Ireland's four Six Nations championship victories have been crowned on the road but now Dublin will have a chance to celebrate in style should they get the job done against Steve Borthwick's visitors.

Andy Farrell's side earned their shot at glory overcoming the early loss of a number of starters but were still able to restrict the hosts to a single score and tries from Mack Hansen, James Lowe and Jack Conan killed off Scottish Triple Crown and championship hopes.

However they will have to deal with a lengthy injury list after losing Caelan Doris, Dan Sheehan, Iain Henderson, Ronan Kelleher and Garry Ringrose, who required medical attention lasting over five minutes on the field after a sickening collision, during the course of a tense Test in the Scottish capital, where Ireland extended their run over their opponents to eight games.

Ireland were able to welcome back Johnny Sexton, Ringrose and Tadhg Furlong to their starting team, while Jamison Gibson-Park and Robbie Henshaw assisted off the bench, the latter three making their first appearances of the tournament.

The tension was dripping down from the stands ahead of kick-off after another stirring rendition of Flower of Scotland but Ireland soon went to work to silence the crowd.

The visitors dominated the early possession and camped in the Scottish half. They were perhaps unlucky not to get a try when Sheehan barged over after Doris plucked a quick Scottish lineout, the play called back because the Scots used a new ball.

But the pressure eventually told when Sexton tapped over a penalty from under the posts to give Ireland the lead but the high tempo and hard hitting came at a cost.

By the 24th minute, Ireland had made their third substitution in the pack with Doris, Sheehan and Henderson, lording it in the lineout, all forced off.

At that stage Scotland had taken the lead.

Finn Russell was finding willing runners who were able to force Ireland's defensive line back and Huw Jones was on hand to finish off Sione Tuipulotu’s pass under the posts.

The wind and rain forecast didn’t materialise and both sides were eager with ball in hand.

Peter O’Mahony got his boot to a loose ball in the backfield and Ireland went 70 metres.

A few phases later Hansen, after taking a pinpoint long pass from Hugo Keenan, dived over in the corner, his body was over the line but the Australian managed to dot down for his sixth international try and Ireland had the lead.

Gregor Townsend’s side, who had lost Richie Gray to injury after just seven minutes, had a chance to retake the lead but a combination of Lowe and Josh van der Flier earned a turnover penalty when Duhan van den Merwe held on too long.

Conan and Ringrose led a breakaway, which turned into an Ireland penalty but the ball was lost at the resulting lineout, allowing the hosts to clear their lines.

Scotland threatened again with the clock in red but Scott Cummings was denied in the corner by a brilliant covering tackle by Andrew Porter.

Ireland lost Kelleher just after the resumption so Van der Flier had to take the lineout throws and Cian Healy was pushed to hooker and when Scotland broke off an overthrow Ireland needed a Hansen jackal penalty to save the day.

And the scrum was struggling badly, too, giving away three free kicks by the 50th minute and handing momentum to the Scots, who were still in the hunt for a first championship since 1990.

Everything appeared to be going wrong but then the pendulum swung again as Ireland stuck the dagger in with two tries in a five-minute spell.

We need your consent to load this comcast-player contentWe use comcast-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Firstly, Hansen collected his own Garryowen and, playing a penalty advantage, Ireland went through the phases and eventually, replacement Gibson-Park flung a pass out wide for Lowe who powered over Kyle Steyn to dot down.

Moments later the Connacht wing was centrally involved in setting up Conan to get Ireland's third as Scotland wilted.

Crucially, Sexton split the posts twice from the either touchline and the 22-7 scoreline had Ireland two scores clear, both times the returning captain celebrating the extras.

As Scotland tried to break from deep Ringrose got his head on the wrong side and collided with Blair Kinghorn's hip and needed lengthy treatment but was reported to be "conscious and talking" by referee Luke Pearce.

Job done and the Grand Slam dream moves a step closer.

Scotland: Stuart Hogg; Kyle Steyn, Huw Jones, Sione Tuipulotu, Duhan van der Merwe; Finn Russell, Ben White; Pierre Schoeman, George Turner, Zander Fagerson; Richie Gray, Jonny Gray; Matt Fagerson, Jamie Ritchie (capt), Jack Dempsey

Replacements: Fraser Brown, Jamie Bhatti, Simon Berghan, Scott Cummings, Hamish Watson, Ali Price, Blair Kinghorn, Chris Harris

Ireland: Hugo Keenan; Mack Hansen, Garry Ringrose, Bundee Aki, James Lowe; Johnny Sexton (capt), Conor Murray; Andrew Porter, Dan Sheehan, Tadhg Furlong; Iain Henderson, James Ryan, Peter O'Mahony, Josh van der Flier, Caelan Doris.

Replacements: Ronan Kelleher, Cian Healy, Tom O'Toole, Ryan Baird, Jack Conan, Jamison Gibson-Park, Ross Byrne, Robbie Henshaw.

Referee: Luke Pearce (RFU)