Racing 92 reached the quarter-finals of the Heineken Champions Cup with a seven-try 56-3 home win over Edinburgh.

Last year's beaten finalists dominated the first-half, enjoying 76% territory and 71% possession, and crossed for two tries to take firm control before booking their ticket to travel to face the Bordeaux-Begles who overcame Bristol Bears.

Having missed early chances to take the lead, the visitors saw Maxime Machenaud punish them with a long-range penalty for a breakdown offence in the eighth minute to opening the scoring.

Kinghorn levelled five minutes later after Hamish Watson had driven to the edge of the Racing 22 and won a penalty.

When the first try came it was from the outstanding French hooker Camille Chat, who powered over from a metre out to crown an incredible start by him in the opening 26 minutes. He was like an unstoppable train with ball in hand and his try was converted by Machenaud.

Machenaud's third penalty extended the lead to 10 points just before the break, although there was a price to pay for the home side as they lost skipper Henry Chavancy with a serious shoulder injury.

Machenaud then took his first-half tally to 15 points with a try in support of a wonderful break down the right - and then popped over the conversion.

Edinburgh ended the half as they had begun it, by threatening the Racing line, but when the outstanding Watson was held up, Luke Pearce's whistle meant the TOP 14 outfit went to the dressing rooms at La Defense Arena with a 20-3 interval lead.

The helter-skelter rugby continued in the second half, although it took 16 minutes before Antoine Gibert extended the home lead with a penalty off the 10 metre line having missed from similar range earlier on.

Jordan Joseph powered over for a third try in the 62nd minute and then the Georgian prop Guram Gogichashvili followed suit.

Teddy Thomas then streaked clear from the half-way line and added a second minutes later.

Francois Trinh-Duc then scored a seventh try to round things off as Racing made the last eight for a fourth year in a row.

Bordeaux-Begles gained ample revenge for their extra-time defeat by Bristol in last season's European Challenge Cup semi-final as they romped into the quarter-finals for the first time with a 36-17 win.

Bristol got off to a flying start and opened the scoring within six minutes when Semi Radradra looped around and helped to create an overlap for Henry Purdy to race 15 metres to score.

Callum Sheedy was not able to add the conversion, but the Wales international fly-half then spent the rest of the half trading blows with his French opposite number Matthieu Jalibert in a tense and even first half.

Sheedy kicked three penalties and Jalibert replied with five in a row, the last in the closing minute of the half to edge his team in front 15-14 at the break.

Jalibert was making things happen all over the pitch and from a scrum took the ball hard and fast and just made it over the line to touch down for a try he also converted five minutes into the half.

Bristol cut the gap to five points when Sheedy hit the mark again.

The home side then lost Australia international lock Kane Douglas for diving off his feet at a ruck 13 minutes from the end and he picked up a yellow card after Scottish referee Mike Adamson had earlier issued a team warning for too many penalties.

Bristol went in for the kill, but lost the ball in the home 22 and then paid the price after a long kick down field as replacement hooker Joseph Dweba charged over for a try that was improved by scrum-half Maxime Lucu.

Bristol skipper Sheedy felt there had been a knock-on by home number eight Scott Higginbotham, but the TMO could not find one and the try stood. It was not the final nail in the Bears' coffin because Nan Ducing intercepted near half-way and romped clear for a third home try.