Leinster have been put through to the Champions Cup quarter-finals after their clash with Toulon was cancelled when a Toulon squad member tested positive for Covid-19.

An unnamed player for the French side, who did not travel to Ireland, has returned a positive test tournament organisers EPCR had confirmed earlier that the match will not go ahead.

They have since revealed that the Irish province will now, as expected, go through to the final eight.

Statement on behalf of EPCR

"Following the cancellation of the Heineken Champions Cup, Round of 16 fixture between Leinster Rugby and RC Toulon due to health and safety concerns for players, club staff and match officials alike, the result of the match has been decided by a Match Result Resolution Committee.

"The committee, comprising members of the EPCR Management team, with EPCR Board members, Andrea Rinaldo (FIR) and Robert Howat (SRU), as observers, considered the facts regarding the cancelled match today (Friday, 2 April).

"Following medical advice that the match could not be played safely, RC Toulon were unable to select a match day squad after it was deemed that the club had a number of high-risk close contacts with one of its non-travelling players who had tested positive for COVID-19.

"Therefore as RC Toulon could not fulfil the fixture, the committee decided under the terms of EPCR's COVID-19 protocol that Leinster will progress to the Heineken Champions Cup quarter-finals on the weekend of 9/10/11 April."

Toulon were already in Dublin in preparation for the game. They undertook a full round of PCR testing yesterday with all players returning negative tests but the EPCR still deemed it too risky to play the fixture.

According to their statement, "the Committee concluded that there were a number of high-risk contacts with the player who had tested positive and deemed the match unsafe to play with the participation of those identified contacts."

This is the second time that a positive Covid-19 test has affected Toulon's European campaign after they decided not to play Scarlets in December because of coronavirus-related concerns.

A Scarlets player had tested positive for Covid-19 the day before the two sides were to meet and Toulon withdrew from the game in a decision that was upheld by EPCR.

The winners of the Leinster and Toulon game were due to take on Exeter Chiefs or Lyon next Friday.

We need your consent to load this YouTube contentWe use YouTube to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Listen to the RTÉ Rugby podcast on Apple PodcastsSoundcloudSpotify or wherever you get your podcasts.