Connacht ended their wait for a Guinness Pro14 win in Wales by thrashing the Dragons 38-14 at Rodney Parade.

First-half tries from Gavin Thornbury and wing Matt Healy set the visitors on their way to a first victory in the country since February 2017.

Finlay Bealham, Cillian Gallagher and Kieran Marmion added second-half scores as Connacht moved to the top of Conference B with a bonus-point success.


Tyler Morgan's early try had given the hosts an 18th-minute lead but they had to wait until after the 80 minutes were up for Taine Basham to cross for their only other try.

The Dragons had the most of the early territory and nearly scored after just three minutes when Basham drove towards the line from five metres but was held up centimetres short.

But after former Wales fly-half Sam Davies missed a long-range penalty, the hosts struck from an attacking line-out five metres out.

Skipper Rhodri Williams sent the ruck ball to Davies who laid a pass for Morgan to take a lovely angle and glide past Healy to the line.

That score sparked Connacht into life and they stormed into a 10-point lead with two converted tries and a penalty in the next 12 minutes.

Thornbury found his way over in the first meaningful voyage towards the Dragons line as he drove past weak defending from a few metres.

Conor Fitzgerald landed the first of his five conversions and slotted over a 28-metre penalty minutes later.

And when Connacht took line-out ball near the home 10-metre line, it was thrown wide for Healy to chip over the cover defence, retain possession and just squeeze home.

Wing John Porch was sin-binned two minutes before half-time for a high tackle on wing Ashton Hewitt, yet even with 14 men Connacht scored again as Bealham drove over from a metre.

It was one-way traffic until the last minute of the second half with the Dragons rarely getting a sniff of the Connacht 22, let alone the scoring zone.

The fourth bonus-point try eventually came when the home eight were shoved backwards for Gallagher to ground before a breakaway effort from Marmion two minutes from time made it 38-7.

With the final move of the game, Basham went over and Davies added a second conversion but the damage had long been done.