Scotland will discover on Thursday whether they will be controversially blown out of the World Cup by Typhoon Hagibis.

The Scots' crucial final Pool A clash in Yokohama on Sunday has been cast into serious doubt by predictions of an "explosive" super storm arcing towards the Tokyo region.

World Rugby have called a press conference for 4am BST where they are expected to set out their contingency plans for both the Scotland-Japan match up and Saturday's showdown between England and France, which is also being staged at the International Stadium.

The options open to the tournament organisers are to either find an alternative venue or cancel the game and declare it a draw.

But reports in France claim a decision has already been made to call off both games amid concerns over asking teams and fans to travel during a storm producing hurricane-force winds.

If true, that would end Scotland's tournament in a manner certain to cause an outcry from the Dark Blues support.

Gregor Townsend's men currently have nine points from three games and still need to beat the hosts - who sit on 14 points - to secure their place in the knock-out rounds.

Hagibis has escalated from a tropical storm into a Category 5 super typhoon with winds reaching 180mph.

Experts says it has undergone the most dramatic intensification of any tropical cyclone since records began.

The storm is many times the dimensions of Typhoon Faxai, which brought Tokyo to a standstill last month, left three dead and a million homes without power.

Now Townsend is waiting to hear what move the tournament organisers will take.

Scotland's head coach, speaking after his side's 61-0 thrashing of Russia in Shizuoka and before World Rugby confirmed Thursday's press conference, said: "I checked the weather app this morning, about eight hours ago, and it did look like it was heading into Tokyo this weekend, unless it has changed since then.

"It is a few days away and it could miss the Tokyo area, or it could still go there and obviously we'll be getting updates from World Rugby in the next two days as to what the contingencies are.

"We've had contact to say there will be an update over the next 24 to 48 hours, so I'm sure that alternative venues and arrangements are being looked at not just for our game but the other games that could be affected by it, England and France play in the same stadium the night before.

"I know it was getting looked at for the Ireland game as well when the forecast was that it was going to Fukuoka."