Josh van der Flier made a try-scoring return from a knee injury as Leinster dished out an emphatic 52-10 Pro14 defeat to Dragons at the RDS.

The Ireland flanker crossed on the stroke of half-time, adding to Sean Cronin's opener, as Leinster built a 17-0 lead.

Man-of-the-match Jamison Gibson-Park and Jordan Larmour sealed the bonus point while Ross Moriarty was in the sin-bin, and further tries from Gibson-Park, Tadhg Furlong and Scott Fardy, allied to Jonathan Sexton's 15-point kicking haul, completed the rout.


The high point for Bernard Jackman's Dragons was a scintillating solo score from full-back Jordan Williams - but the defending champions proved too strong in their first home game of the new campaign.

There were seasonal debuts for five more of Leinster's international contingent, including new club captain Sexton and van der Flier who made his first appearance since injuring his right knee against France last February.

Garry Ringrose, another of the returnees, was over the try-line inside five minutes but the score was ruled out for Ed Byrne's neck roll on Nic Cudd.

There was no denying hooker Cronin, who dazzled the defence with a terrific diagonal burst in behind the posts. But Leinster left other first quarter scores behind them as Dragons scrambled well in response to breaks from Larmour, Jack Conan and Robbie Henshaw.

Josh Lewis almost intercepted a Gibson-Park pass as Leinster continued to press in the visitors' 22.

Sexton settled for three points after Lloyd Fairbrother's no-arms tackle, while Dragons' best first half spell - full-back Williams, Cudd and Adam Warren flooded forward - was spoiled by Andrew Porter winning a penalty right on the Leinster line.

Moriarty was harshly yellow carded for a late shoulder on Sexton just before the interval, and van der Flier was celebrating his try just moments later, going over from Conan's inside pass off a scrum. Sexton's conversion was cancelled out by Lewis' lone penalty on the resumption, his kick going over off the left post.

However, some clever interplay between Gibson-Park and James Ryan put the scrum half raiding over from the edge of the Dragons' 22, and the same two players combined to tee up Larmour's bonus point score.

Gibson-Park dangled a kick towards the right corner with Larmour outpacing both Hallam Amos and Lewis to get the touchdown.

Williams lifted Dragons with a jet-heeled run on the hour mark, brilliantly evading three tackles on his way to the whitewash - but Leinster sandwiched that try with two more of their own.

Gibson-Park completed his brace and then fed replacement Furlong to gleefully grab his first try since December 2016.

A seventh followed when Fardy stretched over from a 76th-minute ruck. 

Leinster: Rob Kearney, Jordan Larmour, Garry Ringrose, Robbie Henshaw (Joe Tomane ’65), Dave Kearney, Johnny Sexton (Noel Reid ’65), Jamison Gibson-Park (Hugh O’Sullivan ’67). Ed Byrne (Peter Dooley ’53), Seán Cronin (Bryan Byrne ’53), Andrew Porter (Tadhg Furlong ’53), Scott Fardy, James Ryan (Ross Molony ’65), Max Deegan, Josh van der Flier, Jack Conan (Caelan Doris ’76)

Dragons: Jordan Williams, Dafydd Howells, Adam Warren,Jack Dixon (Jarryd Sage ’58), Hallam Amos, Josh Lewis (Arwel Robson ’58),  Rhodri Williams (Tavis Knoyle ’55). Brok Harris (Leon Brown ’70),  Elliot Dee (Richard Hibbard ’48),  Lloyd Fairbrother (Ryan Bevington ’45),  Matthew Screech (Brandon Nansen ’40), Cory Hill,  Aaron Wainwright (Ollie Griffiths ’48), Nic Cudd,  Ross Moriarty

Referee: Quinton Immelman (SARU).