Scarlets cruised into the last four of the Guinness Pro14 after securing a 43-8 victory over error-strewn Cheetahs in the quarter-final at a sun-soaked Parc y Scarlets.

The reward for such a convincing win was a semi-final appearance at Glasgow, who topped Conference A.

The Scarlets' tries came from wing and man of the match Steff Evans (two), full-back Leigh Halfpenny, wing Tom Prydie, flanker James Davies and replacement scrum-half Jonathan Evans.

Halfpenny and Rhys Patchell kicked 13 points between them while Cheetahs' points came from a late try from full-back Clayton Bommetjies and a Johan Goosen penalty.

Wales hooker Ken Owens returned to lead a Scarlets team that saw Prydie come in on the right wing while John Barclay was back to start at number eight.

Munster-bound Tadhg Beirne played 63 minutes for the Scarlets

Bommetjies and number eight Uzair Cassiem started for Cheetahs against the team they will join for 2018-19.


The visitors also included former Racing 92 fly-half Goosen.

Scarlets dominated to lead 24-3 at the interval.

From the first whistle Scarlets always looked dangerous helped by a series of unforced errors from the Cheetahs.

It was from one of those unforced errors that saw Steff Evans run in for the first of his tries, put over by Patchell after Cheethas fumbled in their own 22.

Halfpenny converted and the full-back was on the scoreboard again twice in two minutes.

After putting over a penalty on 16 minutes, Halfpenny was on the end of a breathtaking team try which was started by Patchell regaining possession by the left touchline deep in his own half before Halfpenny was sent over down the right by Hadleigh Parkes.


His conversion opened up a 17-0 lead.

Goosen got Cheetahs on the scoreboard with a 22nd-minute penalty but Scarlets soon reasserted their dominance with a fine individual try for Evans.

The wing was sent on a weaving run before he gathered his own kick ahead. Patchell, who took over the kicking duties for the injured Halfpenny, converted.

With a bit more patience Scarlets could and should have had a fourth try by the interval but lost possession just metres from the line.

Scarlets carried on from where they left off in the second half scoring three more tries in the space of 15 minutes.

Scott Williams created a try for Prydie with a pass out of the back door on 45 minutes, before James Davies emerged from a pile of bodies to score Scarlets' fifth try. Both were converted by Patchell.

On the hour mark, replacement Jonathan Evans broke away from a ruck after another turnover, but Patchell failed with the conversion.

Cheetahs grabbed a consolation try for full-back Bommetjies on 76 minutes.

Right at the death Patchell was shown a yellow card for a professional foul before Cheetahs butchered a chance of a second try.