Leinster survived the closing stages with 14 men to record a bonus-point victory over Montpellier in the Champions Cup at the RDS this afternoon. 

After a gingery start in which the visitors dominated both territory and possession, Leinster took wing from 17 minutes in, with Joey Carbery diving over in the corner to register his side's 400th try in European competition.

Leinster's backline found its groove after that and their second score owed much to the electric, zig-zagging runs of Adam Byrne and Ross Byrne. It was flanker Josh Van der Flier who eventually pummelled his way over the line from close range after the hosts had been camped on the five metre line for some time. 

12-0 and approaching half-time, all was going swimmingly for the hosts. But Montpellier would strike back in the final two minutes of the half as their monstrously powerful winger Nemani Nadolo seized on the ball after it bobbled out of a five metre scrum and crawled over the line for the score. 

Leinster re-established some breathing room early in the second half as Man of the Match Robbie Henshaw capitalised on Montpellier's inability to deal with a crossfield kick to scamper in for a try.

Josh Van der Flier scoring Leinster's second try

Eager replacement Cian Healy and Adam Byrne led Leinster's charge for a bonus point but turnovers from Mikheil Nariashvili and Tomane rescued Vern Cotter's charges.

Henshaw did likewise for his side, recovering brilliantly to tackle the menacing Nadolo and then rip the ball out of Pienaar's grasp.

Nonetheless, the size difference paid off for Nadolo on the hour mark when he batted away attempted tackles from Luke McGrath and Noel Reid to draw Montpellier back within five points.

It was Daly's turn to show off his finishing skills five minutes later, Henshaw and Carbery combining to set up the winger for a muscular finish past Steyn and Timoci Nagusa in the left corner.

However, Leinster lapsed just when they needed to show composure.

Poor discipline from Ross Molony allowed Pienaar to kick Montpellier into bonus-point range, and winger Byrne's deliberate knock-on left the hosts scrambling to hold on with 14 men.

Nagusa blundered when he failed to free up a man outside him, though, and Montpellier's levelling try never came. They kept hold of their losing bonus point, nonetheless, as Ross Byrne was short with a late long-range penalty.

Leinster: Joey Carbery, Adam Byrne, Robbie Henshaw, Isa Nacewa (capt) (Noel. Reid 35’), Barry Daly (Fergus McFadden, 79), Ross Byrne, Luke McGrath (Jamison Gibson-Park 63’), Jack McGrath (Cian Healy 47’), James Tracy (Sean Cronin 47’), Tadhg Furlong (Michael Bent 63’), Devin Toner, James Ryan (Ross Molony 63’), Rhys Ruddock, Josh van der Flier (Jordi Murphy 63’), Jack Conan.

Replacements: Sean Cronin, Cian Healy, Michael Bent, Ross Molony, Jordi Murphy, Jamison Gibson-Park, Noel Reid, Fergus McFadden.

Montpellier: Jesse Mogg (Joffrey Michel 52’); Benjamin Fall (Timoci Nagusa 64’), Joe Tomane, Frans Steyn, Nemani Nadolo; Thomas Darmon (Benoit   Paillaugue 56’), Ruan Pienaar; Mikheil Nariashvili, Bismarck Du Plessis (Romain Ruffenach 78’), Antoine Guillamon (Davit Kubriashvili 52’); Jacques Du Plessis, Nicholaas Van Rensburg, Kelian Galletier, Yacouba Camara (Wiaan Liebenberg 70’), Louis Picamoles.

Replacements: R Ruffenach, Y Watremez, D Kubriashvili, J Delannoy, W Liebenberg, B Paillaugue, T Nagusa, J Michel

Referee: Wayne Barnes