Munster coach Anthony Foley admits there will be some soul-searching within the province after they stumbled out of the Champions Cup.

Stade Francais wing Josaia Raisuqe's red card did not stop the French champions knocking Munster out of Europe.

Despite playing for 40 minutes with just 14 men, it was Stade who ran out comfortable winners at Stade Jean Bouin.

And such was their dominance that only a try by Conor Murray five minutes from time prevented Munster suffering their first shut-out in 21 years of European rugby. It is the second season in a row that two-time European champions Munster have fallen at the pool stage.

Head coach Foley said: "It's hugely disappointing. Everyone in this competition has upped the ante and so have we but we haven't got the results we wanted. Now we have to look for answers that we can show on the pitch.

"When you can't score and then you're conceding tries from 40 and 50 metres then you're in all sorts of bother" - Anthony Foley

"We've lost key games over the past two seasons and our inability to score has really hampered us this year.

"We are out of the competition and now we have to look at how we get a performance next week [against Stade Francais at Thomond Park] that is worthy of the jersey."

Reflecting further on the game to RTÉ Sport, Foley was disappointed in the way his side conceded tries from a position on being on the front foot themselves. 

"There were periods in the game when we had opportunities but we didn't execute them and when you can't score and then you're conceding tries from 40 and 50 metres then you're in all sorts of bother," he said.

"We absorbed an awful lot of pressure throughout. Just before half-time we made a great break but then got turned over. Suddenly, we're back up the pitch and we concede a try. It's hard to take.

"You watch rugby and you know there are moments like that where big swings can make a difference.

"There were more more swings in the second half. We couldn't build pressure on them. Some of that was down to to their good defence and the pressure that they put on our breakdown - but much of it was down to our poor execution of set pieces."

It was the first time Munster had suffered three defeats in a row at the pool stage of the tournament. That was even after Raisuqe was sent off by World Cup Final referee Nigel Owens on the stroke of half-time for gauging Munster captain CJ Stander as the pair wrestled for the ball.

Foley added: "After the red card we knew there would be space out wide but we never got the squeeze on them to make the most of it. That was down to good control and defence from Stade but also, at times, our own poor discipline."