GALWEGIANS 3 UCD 35, Crowley Park

Derry native Conall Doherty contributed 15 points as UCD dominated from start to finish in a 35-3 bonus point hammering of a poor Galwegians side.

It was the students' first win in three Ulster Bank League outings.

UCD, whose captain Stephen Murphy moved from centre to out-half, had the first sniff of a score at Crowley Park, turning over a scrum and number 8 Peadar Timmins almost set up a breakaway try.

Noel McNamara's youngsters were duly rewarded for a bout of pressure, with their scrum getting on top, and centre Doherty stepped up to convert a brace of penalties. Winger Barry Daly grabbed his fourth try of the campaign in the 23rd minute, as 'Wegians again endured scrum problems.

It got worse for Matt Brown's men six minutes before half-time when a typically spellbinding move from the UCD back-line ended with full-back Adam Byrne touching down. Neither try was converted, and a late Aidan Moynihan penalty made it 16-3 at the interval.

The margin was out to 20 points after Doherty converted his own 46th minute try, taking a great line to slice through off a lineout ball. The one-way traffic continued after 'Wegians centre Brian Murphy was sin-binned. Former Ireland U-18 Schools starlet Jack Power bagged the bonus point with a 64th minute intercept score, before Byrne completed his brace five minutes later.


Munster Academy youngster Tomas Quinlan kicked Cork Constitution to victory for the second round running as they saw off Ballynahinch 32-23 at Temple Hill this afternoon.

The 20-year-old Quinlan, playing at full-back, converted first half tries from Darragh Lyons and James Murphy and booted six penalties to take his haul for this season's Ulster Bank League to 83 points.

Bottom side Ballynahinch had Ulster duo Sam Windsor and Paul Rowley starting together at half-back for the first time. Ireland Sevens international Aaron Cairns cut through for a fifth minute try to get the visitors off to an encouraging start on a bright autumnal day on Leeside. Chris Quinn added a penalty for an 8-0 buffer.

However, Cork Con gradually got to grips with the Ulstermen. Quinlan, their match winner from last time out against Clontarf, landed three penalty efforts to one from Quinn, and he then converted a late Lyons try for a 16-11 half-time lead.

A 42nd-minute converted try from busy flanker Murphy was the ideal start to the second period for Con, with backs and forwards combining to great effect in the build-up. Quinlan's reliable boot kept the scoreboard ticking over for Brian Hickey's men, albeit that 'Hinch outscored them on try count with Kyle McCall and Robin Harte both getting over.

LANSDOWNE 17 GARRYOWEN 10, Aviva Stadium back pitch

Defending Division 1A champions Lansdowne ended their two-match losing streak with a 17-10 triumph at home to Garryowen, as captain Scott Deasy's late penalty clinched an important result for Mike Ruddock's men.

The headquarters club were well beaten by Galwegians and Old Belvedere in recent weeks, and they were trailing 3-0 after flanker Joe O'Brien's 20th-minute sin-binning and the follow-up penalty from Garryowen scrum half Neil Cronin.

However, two tries either side of half-time got Lansdowne back on track. Promising openside Max Deegan was driven over from close range for a 7-3 interval scoreline, and that pack power also paved the way for a 49th minute penalty try which Deasy converted.

Industrious inside centre Andrew O'Byrne set up a grandstand finish with a seven-pointer in the dying minutes, but out-half Deasy had the final say for his side who are back up to fifth in the standings.


Resurgent Young Munster made it two victories on the bounce as they beat in-form Old Belvedere 20-18 in a cracking contest at Tom Clifford Park.

With new head coach David Corkery now installed for the rest of the season, the Cookies stormed out of the blocks thanks to a third minute try from winger James O'Connor. They led 15-11 at the break, with Ireland Sevens international Gearoid Lyons kicking a penalty and converting Dan Goggin's excellent try. The home fans gave their biggest cheer of the day as Lyons gathered his own box kick to send supporting centre Goggin over.

However, at times it seemed as if former Munsters star Willie Staunton had come back to haunt the hosts for Halloween. He kicked two long range penalties and 'Belvo struck a timely blow approaching the interval with a Daniel Riordan five-pointer.

Into the second half, replacement Michael Vaughan gave Munsters some breathing space with a try in the corner, a powerful maul doing the initial damage. A penalty try for a high tackle, which Staunton converted, set up a tense finish but the Cookies dug deep to prevail by two points.


Clontarf won for the first time in three league games as they got the better of hosts Terenure College on a 13-3 scoreline at Lakelands Park.

Bouncing back from last week's one-point loss to Cork Constitution, Andy Wood's men returned to the top of the table thanks to the efforts of young half-backs Dermot O'Meara (try) and Joey Carbery (a conversion and two penalties) in a low-scoring but entertaining tie.

Terenure out-half Jake Swaine slotted a 22nd minute penalty to open the scoring, rewarding James O'Donoghue for a determined kick chase. Swaine is one of the youngsters thriving under coach James Blaney's tutelage, with 'Nure fielding six players aged 21 or under in this Friday Night Lights clash.

Carbery suffered a third penalty miss from long range, however his half-back partner O'Meara capitalised on a 'Nure mistake in their 22 to run in a converted try approaching half-time.

With his side now 7-3 to the good, Carbery increased his influence with two well-struck penalty goals after 45 and 51 minutes. Terenure won their last two games against Garryowen and UCD with strong finishes, but their hopes took a hit when flanker Kyle McCoy was sin-binned for taking out a lineout jumper.

14-man Terenure defended stoutly in wet conditions while McCoy was off, and Clontarf were denied a try by a knock-on in the corner. In the end, they did not need it as they got back to winning ways ahead of next week's home fixture with Galwegians. 'Nure face a trip to struggling Ballynahinch in round seven.


ST MARY'S COLLEGE 26 BALLYMENA 18, Templeville Road

St Mary's College produced a terrific final quarter display to overcome Ballymena 26-18 at Templeville Road and replace the Braidmen at the summit of Ulster Bank League Division 1B.

The visitors, who were unbeaten and top of the table before kick-off, led 10-6 at the break thanks to unconverted tries from number 8 Matthew Rea and centre Rodger McBurney. The latter's lung-bursting score on the stroke of half-time was his fourth try of the campaign.

St. Mary's lost their captain Rob Sweeney to injury, but they were ahead within three minutes of the restart as scrum half Robbie Glynn did well to ground the ball following a persistent spell of pressure.

Sean Kearns converted to add to his two first half penalties, only for Ballymena to swiftly respond. Their Ulster lock Alan O'Connor - playing against his younger brother David - took advantage of a gap on the right to power over for their third unconverted try.

Ritchie McMaster's drop goal made it 18-13 to Andy Graham's men, however St. Mary's gained crucial momentum on the back of a Kearns penalty and replacement prop Tom O'Reilly's try from a well-worked attack.

Young out-half Kearns followed up with the conversion and then split the posts with his fourth successful penalty from long range, taking his league tally to 68 points in six games as Peter Smyth's side saw out a hard-fought victory.


UL Bohemians picked up just their second win in six league outings as Jamie McNamara's brace of tries helped them edge out Blackrock College 21-14 at Stradbrook. 

'Rock were leading 14-11 with a quarter of an hour remaining. David Rowan's converted try, on the back of Robbie Bourke's sin-binning for a high tackle, had the Dubliners back in front.

However, out-half Bourke returned to kick the levelling penalty for Bohs, and then left winger McNamara notched a last-gasp try to end a run of three defeats on the bounce for Gearoid Prendergast's men. 

DOLPHIN 24 BUCCANEERS 23, Irish Independent Park

Dolphin survived six minutes of injury-time to make it back-to-back wins, with Rory Scannell steering them past Buccaneers 24-23 at Irish Independent Park.

Munster centre Scannell kicked four penalty goals - including the match-winning kick late on - as the Corkmen triumphed despite being outscored by three tries to two.

Scannell converted Shane McAuliffe's try to close the gap to 15-10 at half-time, and his provincial colleague Cian Bohane touched down to move Dolphin 18-15 ahead.

Conor McKeon briefly kicked Buccs level - Scannell was quick to respond - and full-back Callum Boland then became the third member of the Pirates' back-three to cross the whitewash, adding to earlier efforts from Rory O'Connor (his fifth of the season) and Eoghan O'Reilly.

However, McKeon was unable to convert at 23-21 and the ice-cool Scannell had the final say for Feargus O'Donoghue's charges, who have climbed up to sixth in the table.


Dublin University leapfrogged Buccaneers into fourth place courtesy of a well-judged 26-12 success against Belfast Harlequins at College Park.

Harlequins, who are now seven points adrift at the foot of the table, have an incredible 22 players out injured at present and it is really taking a toll on their performances and results.

In a stop-start first half, two penalties from Trinity out-half Jack McDermott provided the difference on the scoreboard - 6-0. The students pressed for a try on the stroke of half-time but stout defending from the visitors kept them out.

Nonetheless, a yellow card for 'Quins captain Neil McComb left his side under severe pressure and the tries duly came for Tony Smeeth's youngsters. After a third McDermott penalty, returning centre Seb Fromm broke through to make it 14-0.

Number 8 Tom Ryan crossed the whitewash with 10 minutes remaining and although Kingsley McGowan's sin-binning invited the Ulstermen forward with replacement Mark Foster bagging two late tries, full-back Conor Kearns sandwiched in a third for Trinity to make sure of the win.

SHANNON 25 OLD WESLEY 17, Thomond Park back pitch 

Number 10 Tadhg Bennett recaptured his best kicking form as his 20-point tally inspired Shannon to a memorable 25-17 victory over former table toppers Old Wesley on Thomond Park's back pitch.

Bennett made it a happy Halloween for Marcus Horan's young squad by landing six penalty goals - two of them in the second half - and converting centre Will Leonard's 26th-minute try.

It was Shannon's second successive win, adding to the momentum gained from their recent derby triumph over UL Bohs. But they got off to a poor start against Wesley whose number 8 Mark Rowley barged up on a strong carry and the ball was moved wide for full-back Rory Stynes to touch down with just three minutes on the clock.

Indiscipline from the Dubliners allowed out-half Bennett to kick Shannon into a 9-5 lead and they were 19-14 to the good at the turnaround, with David O'Donovan's clever chip leading to a fine score from Leonard.

Bennett had the gap out to 25-14 before Barry McLaughlin fired over his fourth successful penalty on the hour mark. Neither kicker could find the target during a tight final quarter as Shannon handed Wesley their second defeat of the league run.